16

n// ok a great deal of u shared some sad ass reactions and I couldn't wait to get this out there so here u go!!!

So as the years passed, their darling little Darla grew up and into a beautiful young woman. Her wild hair grew into a mane of beautiful curls, her brown eyes becoming aged with dignity and grace. Well, that much was inevitable, seeing as she was raised by her aunt Rebekah for most ― if not all ― of her life.

Rebekah kept her promise like a metronome kept time. She raised Darla like she was her own, loving her and protecting her like she promised she would have all those years ago. And even though it wasn't the upbringing she had wanted for her niece, she made sure that she followed all of her brothers' orders.

As for Darla, she didn't understand why she was sent away so early in her life. She didn't understand why she couldn't even speak on the phone with her father, the man that sent her away in the first place. Why she couldn't experience the famed nobleness that is her uncle Elijah firsthand. Hell, she knew that they didn't even know what she looked like now. All they knew was the image of her at not even one year old. They couldn't risk her identity falling into the wrong hands. But at least she had seen pictures of them.

She dreamed of reuniting with her family since the day she was able to process the information that her Auntie Bex was giving her. She dreamed of walking hand in hand with her father through an art museum, him pointing out all of his favorite artists and telling her funny little stories about each one, his seemingly rare smile lighting up the world now that he had his baby back. She dreamed of having long, intellectual talks with her Uncle Elijah about history and the way the world has changed over the years. She had yearned for the family dinners together, even if they were as dysfunctional as they were always described to be. She craved the unity that all of the other kids at school had, but instead she had to play orphan and lie to the face of everyone in which she came into contact with.

To them, she was Darla Smith. The girl that lived with her single, widowed mother in a remote part of Arkansas, living a quiet life within the secluded masion that had belonged to her grandad, and as much normality as the next family. Not Darla Mikaelson, who is being raised by her adoptive aunt who is an Original vampire, living in a remote part of Arkansas in a mansion that Rebekah had compelled off of some elderly man, so that one of her father's many enemies didn't take her and ultimately kill her.

But that was Darla's life. And even though she resented parts of it, she was always happy at the end of the day that her family loved her so much that they would sacrifice their own happiness just to keep her safe.

As for her father, he was in constant pain every day. Without her, there was a void in his heart that was empty. He walked passed her room every day, trying to ignore the sudden pain he felt at the mere sight of it. But never once did he enter it. He had gotten weekly updates from Rebekah, and he knew that she was safe. He knew that she was perfectly happy, and aside from the average cold that she seemed to pick up from the other children at her public school ― which he was still against ― and her mild asthma, she was the poster child of good health. Which should have comforted him, but instead he was left with more emptiness inside of him. He knew no greater pleasure in all of his years than being a father. And after he had his privilege taken away from him from his many and abundant amounts of enemies, he decided to change. He began settling the scores. Accompanied by his older brother, who as per usual played his rock throughout the years, and the rest of his family, they fought their battles one by one. They got rid of every threat that they had pinning against their family, using the sheer force of the absences of their family to give them strength and something to fight for. And although it was a challenge, they were Mikaelsons. They were resilient.

And so Niklaus and Elijah fought war after war, fighting for the one thing they thought truly fit. Their family. And eventually, all their wars were fought. They vanquished all of their greatest and most powerful enemies, setting an example for everyone else to follow: do not mess with the Mikaelsons. And so the day that they had all been waiting for had come.

Darla Mikaelson was coming home.