30

"Meet me at your locker as soon as break starts, okay?" Kit asked as Darla looked toward the door of her first class nervously. "I'll show you around and introduce you to some of my friends and then I can walk you down to your next class. I wouldn't want anything to happen to my Darla."

"You sound like my father..." She muttered in response, looking past him and into the classroom that was already filling up with teenagers.

"Hey." Kit said, wrapping his arms around her in a comforting manner. "Everything's gonna be okay, Dar. Just relax. Besides, Ms. Gordon is the coolest. You'll love her, and she'll love you. As will everyone else."

"You really think so?"

"I know so. Now get in there so I can get to my class."

Laughing a bit, she nodded and hugged him once more before walking into the classroom and making her debut as the resident 'new girl'.

"Hi," She whispered to the older woman, who smiled back. "My name is Darla Mikaelson, I'm new here. I don't really know what to do...?"

"Oh!" The woman gasped, pulling out her roster and checking something off. "We just got word of your enrollment a few minutes ago. Oh, um, class! Class, give me your attention for just one moment, please."

The classroom suddenly grew silent at the woman's words, but their attention was on Darla.

"This is Darla," The woman spoke, trying to do that annoying teacher thing where the student stands in front of the class and gets formally introduced as a way to kill some time. "Care to tell the class a bit about yourself?"

"Oh, okay." She blushed, shifting under all of the gazes from her new peers. "Well, uh, I'm Darla Mikaelson, I just moved here from Arkansas with my aunt to live with my dad, and yeah. That's kind of it."

But her nonchalant attitude towards the whole ordeal was not that of her classmates. As soon as they heard her last name, they all adopted looks of shock and disbelief. Not to mention the number of hands in the air.

"Does that mean you live in that plantation house?" Someone asked upon being called on by Ms. Gordon.

"Yeah," Darla blushed. "Its history isn't the greatest, but it's home, I guess."

"Which one is your dad? Don't all of you Mikaelsons live together?"

"Klaus is my dad." More widened eyes. "And yeah, we all live together."

"If you all live together, why were you in Arkansas with your aunt?"

"Um? I don't think that's any of your business, quite frankly."

The class 'oooh'ed at her response, sending a flaming blush up her cheeks.

"Are you dating Kit Fletcher?"

"Yes." A new voice chimed in, making Darla turn around.

And low and behold, it was Kit himself.

"What are you doing here?" Darla asked, seeing as he just left. "I thought you were going to be in your class."

"You forgot this." He smiled, holding up the book he had offered to carry for her. "And I'm glad I'm here in the nick of time. Hello, class."