14

"Niklaus!" Elijah yelled loudly, "Come here at once! It's Darla!"

And almost instantaneously, Klaus was at the side of his older brother, looking distressed and terrified.

"What?! What is it?! What's wrong with Darla?!" He asked urgently.

"Look." Was all the elder Mikaelson said, gesturing to the tot who was wobbling where she stood.

And within those seconds, Darla completed her next biggest milestone. She took her first steps.

"Da!" She squealed, toddling the few steps over to her father happily and grasping onto his pants. "Eli!"

"Hello there, little one," Elijah spoke, picking up his niece, seeing as his brother was in a current state of shock. "I see you've become familiar with the wonders of walking! How exciting for you!"

But much to her favorite uncle's shock and surprise, she didn't respond with her usual claps and giggles. In fact, she didn't even really respond at all. She was more focused on why her father hadn't paid attention to her.

But it was the opposite of what she thought. Klaus was ecstatic that she took her first steps, and that he had been there to witness them. But at the same time he was overwhelmed with that same melancholic emptiness he felt the day she said her first word.

To put it in short, he was terrified of what else to come. Much like any other parent going through this with their first child was.

"Da?" She asked, looking at him with her signature pouting face.

And unsurprisingly enough, Klaus was snapped out of it instantly. He looked to his daughter and felt his face light up, taking her out of her uncle's arms.

"Well would you look at that!" He said enthusiastically, tickling her tummy. "You're already walking!"

And as if nothing had ever happened, Darla began squealing with delight, knowing that she had done something worth being happy about.

Klaus leaned down and kissed his baby girl on the cheek, grinning brilliantly. If anyone else had seen him in this moment, they would have never guessed that he was a homicidal hybrid who is the cause to all problems supernatural. And although he didn't necessarily mean his enthusiasm, he kept it up. For her. In fact, he would do anything for her. She's got him wrapped around her finger to the point of no return.

She was his baby, and he was her daddy. There was nothing that could come between them.

"Come on," Klaus smiled softly. "I know this is all very exciting, it doesn't change the fact that you are on a strict eating schedule and need your lunch."

"Shouldn't we inform our sister about this?" Elijah asked as he began walking.

"I don't care what she knows or doesn't know, brother," Klaus said. "She's probably too wrapped up in that human to notice, anyways."

"But-"

"Do what you want, Elijah." He said sternly, holding Darla tightly to his chest. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have more pressing matters to attend to, ones that are of actual importance. So please, if you have any more ridiculous concerns that are worth none of my time, I'd suggest that you keep them internalized, or save them for someone who cares."

n// what's got klaus so SHOOK