15

Over the next few weeks, Klaus distanced himself from his family. It wasn't just the minor spat that he had with his big brother, but it was everything. He now had a new enemy in town, one that was posing a definite threat to him and his family. So he did what he had to do to keep them safe.

Which was why after those few weeks of deliberation and lots of alcohol, he came to the hardest decision he had ever made in all of his thousand(+) years.

Stalking down the corridor of his grand home to his daughter's room, he tried to hold back the tears in his eyes. He knew she was sleeping, but somehow that made what he was to do a little bit easier. At least this way he wouldn't have to see her cry.

"Hello, little one," he whispered with a small smile, picking her up out of her crib, being extra gentle so he didn't wake her. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for not spending as much time with you as of late. I've just been preoccupied with... work. But you've had fun with Auntie Bex and Uncle 'Lijah, no?"

But even Klaus knew that was a lie. He could see how much she missed him, just by the way she clutched onto his shirt with all of her might ― even when she was alseep.

And it wasn't that she didn't love her dear aunt and uncle, because she did. They were some of the biggest parts of her life and upbringing. But as previously stated (numerous times), she loved her father the most.

Another reason why what he had to do now was the hardest thing he would ever do.

He placed her in her crib once again, relieved at the sight of her still sleeping. Then he proceeded to pack up most ― if not all, of her possessions into a few child sized suitcases, finally letting his tears slip. He didn't want to do this, it was the opposite of what he wanted. He was going to have to give up the thing that brought him the most happiness in all of his life. But he would rather have her safe than have himself happy at the cost of her life.

So he continued until someone eventually came in and stopped him. The one person he counted on doing so. His sister.

"What on earth are you doing, Niklaus?" She asked with a hiss, seeing that her niece was asleep.

"What is necessary, sister."

"Oh, for God's sake, Nik, if you would stop being so damn cryptic all the time and tell us what is going on, maybe most of these crisis' you seem to have could be avoided!"

"And if you could lower your voice, we would avoid another crisis ― the one where the tiny sleeping child awakes!" He whispered angrily at his little sister before taking a deep breath and forcing himself to calm down. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what, Nik?" Rebekah asked, confusedly as he zipped up Darla's bags. "Where are you going?"

Klaus chuckled a little bit before looking down at his daughter and then up at his sister.

"It isn't where I am going, Rebekah, it's where you're going."

"What?"

"She isn't safe here. Not with all the enemies that are littering this town."

"This town is her home, brother. She can't just leave― "

"Sister." He interrupted, letting more tears slip. "In spite of our differences, Rebekah, there is no one I would trust more with my daughter's life. And I know I am robbing you of your freedom and of everything else that you have here, but I can't risk the possibility of our Darla getting hurt. No one can know where she is, sister, and I will make sure that everyone knows that she is gone. I have come up with a plan to tell everyone, but I need you to follow it― "

"I'll do it." She said, letting a tear slip. "I'll take care of her, Nik. I promise. She'll be safe with me. She'll be happy."

He smiled sadly and looked down at his beautiful baby girl, silently letting Rebekah know that he needed a moment alone with her before she left to god knows where. So she grabbed the bags that he had packed and began walking them out to her car, letting herself let more tears fall for the anguish she knew her big brother was going to go through in their absence.

He swallowed thickly and picked her up once again, looking at her soft features, memorizing them all. From the way her bottom lip jutted out in her sleep, to her soft, wild brown hair that he loved so much, he memorized it all. For these would be the only things that kept him sane over the next few years, until she was old enough to come back and be safe.

"This city would have seen you dead, but I will have it your home. And every soul who wishes you harm will be struck down... Just as sure as my love runs through your heart, you will return to me, my littlest Darla. I will do right by you."

And then he placed a kiss upon her head, sniffing and letting out a small sob.

"Brother..." Elijah whispered from the doorway, his own tears falling down his face as well. "Please, tell me that this is some sort of joke."

When Klaus was silent, Elijah exhaled sharply, knowing in his heart that this was the best thing for his niece and her safety. So he walked over to her and placed a hand on Klaus' back, staring down at the baby girl in his arms.

"Where is she to go?" He asked.

"Somewhere safe." He answered, not knowing the answer himself.

"I was thinking Arkansas," Rebekah whispered with a small smile. "It's always lovely there this time of year."

"Then go." Klaus said, the sound of his voice coming across as bitter. "Go there, sister... But please, don't let her forget me. Make sure she knows I love her."

"That we love her." Elijah added, placing a small kiss to her forehead. "And that we shall see her when the time is right."

And for once, the Mikaelson brothers fully agreed on a notion with no problems.

"I will." Rebekah said as they walked outside, all dreading the moment to come. "I will, brothers. I promise."

"And Rebekah?" Klaus said finally, looking into his sister's big blue eyes. "Please... Be happy."

She nodded silently, letting her tears now flow freely along with the other Mikaelson siblings.

"This isn't goodbye, my darling girl," Klaus whispered again. "We will meet again. I promise you."