24

"Dad?" Darla asked, stepping into his study.

"Yes, Darling?" He responded, giving her his undivided attention.

"Want to go out?"

The question took the hybrid by surprise, making his eyes widen ever so slightly.

"What?"

"Do you want to go out?" She repeated, this time a little slower and clearer.

"Where?"

"I don't know, this is your town, isn't it?" She teased. "I've just grown a little tired of being cooped up, and I figured why not hit the town with my dad?"

Which was true. Ever since her arrival a total of three days ago, she hadn't really been out of the Mikaelson Compound. And as much as she loved her new home and reunited family, she was beginning to go a little stir crazy. So when Klaus smiled and nodded, she sent an even bigger one back and patiently waited for him to get ready.

And when he was finally done, and she had put on a jacket (Klaus had insisted that she were to get a cold if she didn't), they were off.

"So," Darla began, holding her father's hand in a loving way. "Where to, dad?"

He grinned, dimples popping out and showing the world that he could, in fact, be the happy, loving man that little have seen him be.

"I'm going to show you everything that this city has to offer, Darla," He spoke. "And everything that Arkansas left you missing."

"Hey, Arkansas wasn't that bad," She chuckled, rolling her eyes. "It was quiet and quaint. Something that this place has me missing."

"Oh, on the contrary, Darla. This city will only leave you wanting more."

She just smiled, silently telling him that she agreed, shortly going back to staring at the city in wonder and fascination. She still couldn't really believe that she was there, with her family in the place that she was born. Sure, it was true that a part of her did love Arkansas, but a bigger part of her would always love NOLA more. The history of the famed city intrigued her, and the fact that she was a living part of this history was something that appealed to her even more.

"So what do you like to do?" She asked him as they sat in a small café, sipping on a lemonade and a coffee. "You know, besides planning world domination and vanquishing enemies and whatnot, what does Niklaus Mikaelson like to do?"

"Well," He chuckled, taking a sip of his drink. "I like the Beatles."

"The Beatles!" Darla laughed, clapping her hands as she did so. "I never pegged you as a Beatles fan."

"Really? I thought I screamed beatlemania." 

"No, I always saw you as more of a jazz guy."

"Oh, I do love my jazz."

"Of course you do! You're in New Orleans for goodness sake."

"Sweetheart, I am New Orleans." He stated with that cocky smile that he always wore, earning the mirror image of it from his daughter. "Any other questions?"

"Yeah. If you're from Norway, why do you have a British accent?"

"...Don't ask questions I can't answer, love."

"Okay, but does no one else find it weird?" Darla laughed. "I mean, you and the rest of them all have different accents. What's up with that?"

"...Drink your lemonade."

Darla laughed and did as she was told, sipping on her beverage as her father taught her everything she needed to know about the city that he and his siblings had built. And did she mind? Not at all. She listened intently and payed close attention to his words, asking him questions and laughing at his anecdotal tangents.

The conversation lasted long after they had left the café, only deepening as they roamed the streets. Klaus pointed things out to the girl, informing her of it's history and why it was special. They walked for hours, bonding and learning, laughing and loving. That was, until Klaus stopped in front of a damp, dirty alleyway.

"What is this?" Asked Darla, frowning in confusion.

"The most valuable landmark in the whole of New Orleans." Klaus smiled.

"What is it? The Most Disgusting Alleyway in New Orleans?"

Klaus shook his head and chuckled, letting his mind flash back to sixteen years ago.

"No, this is where we first met." He answered. "The most important part of New Orleans history."

Darla gasped quietly and looked around, eyes wide.

"Dad?" She asked, meeting his gaze.

"Yes, darling?"

Darla didn't respond, she just wrapped her arms around him and buried her head in his shoulder, overcome with emotions. Klaus just wrapped his arms around her in return, holding her flush against his chest.

"I love you, dad." She whispered, trying to hold back her tears.

"I love you too, my littlest wolf." He responded back. "Now let's get you home, yeah?"