6

"There, there, Darla," Klaus whispered while bouncing the crying baby up and down on his hip. "It's alright. I know it hurts, but it'll be all better in a second."

He took his index finger into his mouth and bit it, drawing the slightest bit of blood. Putting it to Darla's mouth, he let her suck on it of a little bit, until he saw the cut and slight bruising vanish.

"All better, little Darla," he smiled, kissing her tears a way. "I'm sorry that that had to happen. Maybe I'll give the toy back when you're a little older ― when you won't hit yourself on the head with it."

He let his bouncing come to a subtle stop and looked down at her, smiling as she gurgled and looked at him in wonder. He loved her with all of his heart and soul, and he was going to make sure she always knew that.

"I know that I worry a lot, love, but I suppose I have to." He began again. "I haven't really got a lot of... friends, you see. In fact, most people would love to see me dead. And since that won't happen anytime soon, they always manage to take away the things and people I care for. And you, my darling, are the apple of my eye. Maybe it's because your papa isn't the nicest man around, but believe me, dear, I would never lay a hand on you out of anger or spite. Sure, I tend to get a bit... moody, and there is no doubt that we will both have our up and down days. But the point is... that I'll always protect you. And by now I must be sounding like a broken record, but I can't seem to stop repeating it. I will never let anyone get you if I am alive to witness it. I will never do anything that will intentionally make you unhappy. Well, unless there's a special boy or girl in your life, but that's a conversation for another day. Hopefully one a hundred years down the line."

Klaus laughed a little bit as Darla looked up at him in curiosity, not understanding a thing that came out of her daddy's mouth. But that was okay, she didn't have to understand his ramblings. All she had to do was listen.

"Maybe I feel such a desire to protect you because I know how trivial the human life is." Klaus pondered. "Trust me, love, I have taken many, and within a second it could all be over. Everything someone worked for, everything that they lived for could be gone within a second. And as much as I like to think that no one would ever harm a little baby like youself to get to me, there are. There are monsters out there, my sweet girl. Ones that would take your life in an instant if they knew it would get to me. And it would. It would ruin me. It's been but a few months yet I am so devoted to you. You're what I wake up in the morning for, what I go to sleep thinking about. You're my child, Darla. And I know you don't know what I'm saying right now, and that all you want to do is play with uncle Elijah downstairs or give Auntie Bex a good cuddle, but just know that I love you. Always and forever."

Klaus shifted positions and held her closer to his chest, taking a deep breath while he planted a small kiss to her forehead.

"Now, let's get you all bathed and ready for bed, hmm?"