3

As Klaus arrived in his room, he took a good look at the infant in his arms. She still slept soundly, and Klaus couldn't help but smile at her tiny figure. Then he realized that he needed more for her than a sheet and a little basket for Darla to sleep in. So, he did what he had to do.

"I'll be right back, love," he whispered, smiling down at her. "I promise."

He stepped into the hallway and called upon one of his many sired hybrids, slightly agitated at how slow she was getting up there.

"Finally," he breathed out. "Go to the nearest retailers that sell supplies for children ― newborns, specifically. Buy anything and everything that could even remotely be of use for one. Blankets, diapers, clothing, a crib, bottles, formula, soaps, a tub, toys, medicine, anything. Don't ask questions, and don't tell anyone what you are doing."

The hybrid nodded and Klaus smirked, clapping a hand down on her shoulder.

"Excellent."

"But-"

"No questions, remember?"

"I know that, but-"

"If you knew, you wouldn't ask."

"Well I need to know what gender I'm buying for, sir..."

"Oh." Klaus said, realizing his mistake. "My apologies. But, to answer your question, the child is a girl. Although I find that colors don't mean anything to a baby and that gender norms are quite outdated in this twenty-first century of yours, just get whatever you feel is the safest and dare I say cutest."

The woman nodded and sped off to do his bidding whilst he wandered back into the room where Darla still laid, asleep. He sat beside her and gently picked her up, holding her close again.

"I suppose it's official, love," he whispered. "This is your new home. And I am quite sure you will love it. Once we get you settled in, you will be the princess of the house. Of course things can get a little scary sometimes, but just know this: you will be loved ― my greatest wish being for you to be happy and safe."

He placed a soft kiss on her forehead and gazed out of his bedroom window.

"Look at me, little Darla," he chuckled. "You already have me wrapped around your tiny little finger and you've known me for mere hours. The invincible hybrid, brought down to his knees by the little infant in the alleyway. Who would have ever thought?"

Darla let out a little gurgling noise and shifted in his arms, causing the invincible hybrid to burst out into an adorable grin.

"You're a Mikaelson now, little Darla." He whispered again, rocking slightly to help her sleep better. "Always and forever."