Chapter 18, Cracking Knuckles and Honey

Scurrying around, showering and changing his clothes quickly, Arthit started to make dinner. The text was short and it came just after lunch but, Arthit was so happy to hear that Kongpop had good news. He was counting the minutes until Kong got home, although it goes against all rational thought, Arthit missed Kongpop every day and couldn't wait to hug him.

.......................

His own day had been a bit unusual. It started out with him feeling a bit like a steak on a grill, all eyes were on him and the open mouths of the ladies in the secretarial pool were salivating. Arthit was dapper and gallant in his new suit, he flushed a deep red as he was inundated with comments from the gaggle of girls. David's compliment the only one that didn't make him feel like the suit was being ripped off his body, a simple, "Looking very sharp today sir."

Jira, on the other hand, said nothing but, the "Hmph," sound she made as he passed the main reception was not lost. He decided right then that he had to take matters in hand before her attitude was beyond redemption. He was in charge after all and couldn't leave this to David.

Once he'd settled in, David had brought his coffee, "Nong,"  will you please send P'Jira in, I need to speak with her.

He had a few seconds to adjust himself and he found that using his experience as Head Hazer might come in handy. With his shoulders back and a look reminiscent of those days, he had his pen in hand and was writing when she knocked and entered.

He didn't look up but continued jotting while she stood and waited for him to address her. When what seemed like the perfect amount of time to create the atmosphere he needed, he looked up, "P'Jira," He spoke politely. "Please have a seat."

In the many years she'd worked there, Jira had never been asked to sit in the bosses office. From her viewpoint, Arthit was so young, his pleasant face, charming smile and good looks made it difficult for her to see him as the head of the new and extremely large department. When it was first announced that the Chief Industrial Engineer from Canada was coming to head the office, she pictured someone like the many other men who were heads in the company, older, grey and, frankly a little plumpish around the belly. Not someone who looked like a magazine cover, with perfect hair and flawless white skin.

Setting his pen down, carefully and quietly, he sat up and laced his fingers together as they rested on the desk.

Although Arthit had always been very convincing as a hazer, the truth was, it wasn't easy for him, he had to draw from something inside to make himself the gruff personality. He didn't intend to start out that way and wouldn't use that side of himself at all, unless absolutely necessary. For some reason, when he looked at Jira, he saw his mom.

"P'Jira, firstly I want to tell you that I have read your employment record and understood the long years that you have put into this company and, I for one, would like to thank you for that service. Even though I am new here, I would like you to understand that I have every intention of making this the most successful agency within the entire company. Everyone in this new division will share in the success we garner here."

Arthit could see that he had her full attention. He sat forward a bit and rested his elbows on the desktop. Using a little psychology, "My mother always told me, you catch more bees with honey, I think you would agree with that, yes?" Jira was looking a little nervous and shifted in her seat but she nodded, "Yes, sir."

"What I'm trying to say P' is that I am aware of your discomfort. I won't apologise for my lifestyle." Arthit spoke clearly. "I am not ashamed in any way that I have a man as my partner, but I will say this P', other than your knowing the truth, you are not subject to any other part of it. Please comprehend my purpose here, just the same as I would never question, judge or comment on, what happens in the privacy of your own home or further, your bedroom, I expect the same from you."  Arthit took a breath and continued.  "The second part of what I was hoping to say here today was that, over time, I hope that I can change your heart on the subject, and, I would do that by showing you that I am a good person, fair and reasonable. As I said earlier, I know all about your much-valued skills and I hope to use them soon."