Chapter, 14, Bikes and Better Days

Looking up the seventeen floors to the balcony,  Arthit could see Kongpop waving to him as he crossed the street.  Today was a new day,  in that,  for the first time he was leaving the apartment before Kong.  He wanted to be at the office early,  surely today would be a big and busy day.   Frankly,  Arthit was nervous,  happy to have such an incredible opportunity,  but petrified none-the-less.

Stepping from the elevator,  he could see through the glass wall that many of his fellow employees were there early too,  waiting to wish him well.  How they knew the contents of the letter was beyond him.  The girls that he sat next to, had already packed up most of his desk,  there was little to do except make his goodbyes to the group and with the help of P'Bat,  they carried the boxes to the elevator and up the nine more floors to the new office,  he was to inhabit.  

The sounds made by P'Bat were confirmation that he was impressed by the new digs and,  with a firm handshake and a wai,  he wished Arthit the very best in his new position. 

Once Bat had left the office Arthit peered around at the shiny new space.  A corner office with huge windows on two sides that provided a spectacular view of the surrounding city.   A third wall of glass that was sandblasted and provided privacy but let the light pass through,  fronted the office and faced the secretarial pool that was just outside the door.  

The very first thing he did was to take the picture of Kongpop from the box the girls had packed for him and place it on the corner of his desk.  Adjusting it so it was just right,  he sat in the plush chair as Kong's smiling face looked back at him.  

There was a knock at the door,  a handsome young man carrying several thick folders stepped just inside.  Mr. Rojnapat?  Arthit smiled.  "Please call me Arthit,  how can I help you?"

The young man crossed the room and placed the heavy folders down gently on the desk.  "These,  Mr. Rojnapat,  I mean,  P'Arthit,  the boy looked a bit flustered as he corrected himself,  these are from the president sir,  they are the notes and technical drawings from the Canadian offices.  He pointed to the numbers on the spine of the file folders.  "I've put them in order sir."  The young man made a wai.  "I'm not familiar with how exactly you would like to read them so, I may have jumbled them up.  I hope this doesn't cause you any trouble."  He was bowing his head and apologizing.  "This is my first day here sir,  I was transferred from Canada to assist P'Prem,  I was his secretary there."  

He smiled and turned to leave,  turning back,  please sir,  ah, P'Arthit if there is anything you need,  I'm just outside the door.  Arthit smiled, and your name?"

"Oh,  I guess I should have said that first,  he bowed his head,  I'm David sir,  David  Holbrook.  

He still seemed a bit nervous. "We will just have to get used to the job together David,  this is my first day too,  I'm a little nervous myself,  and,  I'll definitely need your help.  Arthit's warm smile seemed to make the boy relax.  With his hand on the doorknob,  he turned again,  "P'Arthit, you went to school with P'Prem right?  I've heard your name many times."

"I did Nong,  Arthit corrected himself too,  I'm sorry,  David."  

"Nong is quite alright sir,  P'Prem called me Nong,  I'm used to it.  The boy was distinctly Canadian.  He was the first genuine redhead Arthit had ever met.  His Thai was fluent,  but his accent was funny and interesting to listen to.

Alone again,  Arthit jumped right into it.  The folders were pages and pages of Prem's technical drawings and calculations.  The margins were filled with Prem's handwritten and meticulous notes and corrections.  Arthit ran his finger over the ink,  his old friends face was so clear to him as he read.