chapter 40

Aria's POV

"It's getting late now, I think I should get going." Tyler shrugged.

"Oh ok, I'll walk you out-"

"Aria?"

I turned around to the voice that called my name, "Dave?"

"What're you still doing here?" I asked.

He stepped down a few steps from the stairs and closer to us, "I was waiting for you. You said it wouldn't take long - it's 12:30 AM!"

"I didn't think it would take long.." I shrugged.

"Well it did! And what is all this?" He said directed to the lights, "Did you guys stay up all night just to decorate? You said you were coming over to my house for Christmas?"

"Um, I'm just gonna head out now." Tyler interrupted.

"Wait Tyler-"

"No, Aria. Let him go, he shouldn't even be here in the first place." He huffed.

My eyes went wide in shock and I turned to Tyler, whose face was red and looked like there was steam coming out from his ears like the cartoons. "This is Aria's house. She decides." he said sternly.

Dave scoffed, "Well she doesn't get to decide that I'm going to beat the shit-"

Dave swung his fist and Tyler was ready to pounce at him, but I stopped them both from killing each other.

"Will you both just stop?!" I yelled, pushing them further away from eachother. "It's Christmas Eve and I don't want any negativity in this house!"

"So either get out or get your act together!"

"You heard her, get out." Dave commanded.

"Why don't you get your act together?" Tyler snapped.

"Both of you!" I roared.

"Aria-" Dave reached his hand towards me.

"Out. Please." I huffed and ran upstairs to my room.

~~~

The next morning I woke up to an aching headache and forced myself to go downstairs to eat.

I lazily stepped downstairs when I was surprised by my mom, Emma, and Dave who were sitting in the living room opening presents.

"Merry Christmas!" They all cheered.

Dave unwillingly hugged me will I stood there awkwardly. "I'm really sorry I struck out on you. But you can't blame me-"

I glared at him, "I can't blame you?! In my defense, Dave, I was just helping him out okay? He has a lot on his plate than you realize!"

"Look, I'm sure the problems he's having right now are way more important. But if it were me helping out my ex-girlfriend late at night when I told you we would NOT take long, yet I still did. Wouldn't you be suspicious and a maybe a little butt hurt?" Dave reasoned.

"Are you pinning this on me? To make me feel bad about myself?!" I shouted.

"Answer my question."

I sighed. I didn't know which side was the right choice actually. But hearing what he had to say and seeing him out of the picture for a while made me realize that if I wanted to make time to help Tyler and be with Dave, I should've planned it better.

I nodded my head in defeat, "Yes. Yes I would be suspicious and butt hurt. I'm sorry."

I walked past him and he caught my arm again, "Do you forgive me?"