Chapter 3

I walked in the house and I automatically realized the scent of the house never changed, it's smelled of vanilla and coffee. I walk further into the house to find Morgan and Hank sitting on the couch watching tv. "Krista, you have a bruise on your face." Hank said walking over to me.
"I realized." I said awkwardly.
"What happened?"
"Daisy basically tracked me down and punched me."
"Dad!" He snapped his head towards us and seemed like he was confused. "Dad, Daisy punched Krista."
"I know, she did it right in front of me." He said casually.
"Wait what?"
"Is there an issue here? I'm already meeting with the principal to figure this out. Personally, I think if you deliberately walk up to someone and make fun of her about her dead mother is completely unacceptable. After I'm taking Spencer with me to also talk to this girls parents." I looked at my uncle at that moment and didn't know what to do, one side I felt like this would finally end, but on the other side I felt as if it wasn't needed.
"Good, I can't stand seeing her with this hanging over her head-not to mention the fact that you're not doing anything about it." Hank said pointing at me.
"Ok ok, don't be to protective. I know you care but some will think you're dating."
"What if we act like we are in front of Daisy, and make her stop." I shook my head and didn't want it to happen, I couldn't let them fight my fight for me.
"But Hank, that's why she punched me in the first place. It's the reason she blackmailed me in school, the reason she's going to tell the whole school about my grandma-what she did." I said looking at uncle Morgan, he knew what I was talking about.
"What are you talking about? She did that stuff because she thought we were dating?"
"No, she wants to date you, and I'm in the way of it."
"What do you mean?"
"HANK! We just reconnected and catching back up, I'm in her way of her taking you from me."
"You're making it sound like we're dating."
"I give up! Can we go over the thing now?" I asked turning to uncle Morgan. Savannah had just walked back downstairs, and she saw that I was frustrated and hit uncle Morgans shoulder. "Ow, what was that for?" He asked.
"What did you start-wait don't you need to go over the thing with her?" She asked, Hank looked at the three of us confused. He asked what the thing was but I completely looked past it.
"Yes, come on we'll go in your old room." I hesitated a moment before continuing, I started thinking if this is actually something I want to talk about further. I need to do this, dad needs to know what's been bothering all these years.
Once I walked in, it was walking back into my childhood-well it was like walking into the place I sat and waited for my parents to get home from a case. "Ok, so I'm your dad, how would you tell me that you think your mom was murdered?" I looked at him with an unsure look.
"I know you mean well, but that sounded really bad. You actually are making sound like we're plotting her murder-I really don't want that!"
"I'm trying to be in his position, his daughter is about to tell me that she thinks her dead mother was murdered-my wife."
"It'd be settle, as kind as possible."
"But remember who we're talking about, your father." I thought about it for a moment, then realized that he's alway wants a straight answer.
"Right, so I would just say 'hey dad we got to talk.' We sit down and he asks me what it is, I say ' well I looked at the case files at home-of moms death. Dad I think mom was murdered!' I can't say that, it would be just to blunt."
"Right, it's blunt. You need it kind, and put it on him softly."
"What if we start talking about my mom, then mention the case files, start talking about them then softly bring up the fact that I think she was murdered."
"I like that, go with that. You need some sleep, get some and I'll bring you to school tomorrow." Coming up with that brought tears to my eyes, crying was the last thing I wanted right now-well there's also just talking about this situation.
"Thank you, real quick is it ok if I use aunt Savannah's flat iron tomorrow morning?"
"Of course. Anything you need, you might get-depending on what it is."
"So you're telling me that I can't kill someone?"
"No, I don't think Emily would like solving your murder."
"Mine? Who would ever kill me?" I said jokingly.
"You'd be surprised."
"Wait what?"
"Good night, I'll see you in the morning."
"You're so mean!"
"Love you too." I realized that I should change, but I left my bag downstairs. I got up and went down, I saw Hank just sitting there on the couch staring at the wall. I grabbed my bag and threw it over my shoulder and walked over to him.
"Hank? You alright?" I asked whipping the late tear. He snapped out of his thoughts and just stared at me. "Is something wrong? Do I have something on my face? Or is it just a face?" I asked, at first serious but then became paranoid.
"No you do not have anything on your face. It's just-what did you mean when you said she's taking me from you?" He said. My eyes were wide, I didn't want to talk about this but knew that I couldn't escape this one so I sat down on the couch next to him.
"One day I was really upset about my mom not being there, I go in her closet and just try and find some of her clothes that were to small on her, that would fit me. I found one of her jackets, something was weighing it down, I take it out. Hank, she kept a diary in there, she put it in there so my dad couldn't find it. It wasn't like a diary, it was like a letter to me, she would only write in it when my dad was gone. She made sure I could only find it, and so I can only read it. In the diary, she said right before her death 'when you reconnect with someone the worst thing you can do is treat them like a new person. Krista you might lose connection with some people but in the end restore those relationships that mean the most to you'. I know if you date that bimbo there's no way we can fix this relationship." He looked at me in awe, the tears started falling at that moment as I pulled the journal out reading the excerpt. "The small things she said in here is what I remembered most about her. I can't remember as much about her anymore, but I can remember the things like relationships she cherished. She didn't have many friends, but the ones she did have she kept close to her. Hank I can't let that happen-I can't let you leave me again." He pulled me into a hug and as we hugged he whispered to me, "I'm not going to leave you. Krista, you were my best friend as a kid, and I couldn't find anyone that could be as good as a friend as you were to me." He let go of me, but put his hands on my shoulders. We sat there for a moment till he pulled me back towards him, and kissed me. I was in shocked at first but then kissed back, another moment later we pulled apart. I looked at him, I could also tell that I was hardcore blushing. "Krista, I know we just reconnected but would you like to go on a date with me?" He asked holding my hand.
"I would love too." I said smiling. "But I'm going to go to bed, we have school in the morning."
"Right, good night."
"Night." I kissed his cheek and went upstairs. I sat on my bed for a moment and couldn't stop smiling, but then my eyelids became heavy and I lied down and went to sleep.