f j o r t e n

I was on my way to school when my phone started ringing

I was on my way to school when my phone started ringing. I pulled my bag from my back with a sigh before fishing the vibrating cellphone out of the front pocket.

"Ja?" I answered without looking into the screen to see who was calling. With one hand I tried to place my backpack back in its previous position.

"Ja, good morning, Miss Vossberg." A deep voice with a terrible Eastern European accent said and I creased my forehead in confusion. "We have a complaint about your clothing here. You're very daring with your blue coat and your black pants. Are you sure you want to try such a radiant combination?"

"Fy fæn, who is this?" I snorted into the phone and looked around to see if someone was staring at me.

The person on the other end of the phone burst out laughing and I immediately recognised the stupid cackling.

"You drittsekk!" I half yelled and cursed. "Where are you?"

"Ja, that's a secret you'll never know." Chris was still giggling into the phone and I wanted to slap him.

"Did you just quote Gossip Girl? And honestly, I'm not in the mood for you stupid jokes this early on in the day." I snapped which caused him to laugh even harder.

"Look on the other side of the street."

I followed his command and saw him playfully waving at me, his phone held to his right ear. He was wrapped in his winter jacket, a scarf around his neck and army boots on his feet.
I held up my middle finger to him whilst he crossed the road with a few long strides, ending our phone call and sticking his phone in his pocket.

"Drittsekk!" I punched him in the shoulder and he just laughed at me. "What's wrong with my outfit?!"

"Nothing but you should have seen your face." Chris chuckled and winked at me. "You were mortified."

"I'm not friends with you anymore." I hissed and continued walking into the direction of school.

"Okay, okay." Chris was still grinning but tried to hide it. "I need you to ditch school for me."

"Is that why you're​ here?" I didn't look at him but just kept walking. "How did you even know where I was?"

Chris rolled his eyes and sped up the pace so he could walk backwards in front of me to face me. "I know when you leave the house to go to school and I know your usual way there. It's not too hard to calculate when you're gonna be where."

I scoffed at that and squinted my eyes at him. "Well, it sucks that you had to come all the way here but I'm not going to ditch school for you."

"Oh, come on, Lilly." Chris fell back to walk next to me. "You're probably the only person I know who doesn't use the fact that their parents filled out the document for them to be able to call in sick for themselves. You could ditch school all the time and you never do it."