t r e

"Hallå?!" I yelled into the silence that filled the apartment whilst kicking of my shoes by the door

"Hallå?!" I yelled into the silence that filled the apartment whilst kicking of my shoes by the door. "I'm home!"

I hung up my jacket and scarf and purposefully stepped over the mountain of winter coats heedlessly thrown onto the ground. With my backpack in one hand and my phone in the other, I strutted into the hallway peaking into the living room.

"Hallå?"

"Ja." My brother's​ head popped up around the corner of the doorframe leading into the kitchen.

I placed my backpack against the wall and made my way towards him.
My older brother stood at the counter making cheese toasties while humming to Harry Styles' "Sign of the Times" which was quietly playing in the background.

"How was school?" He asked whilst shoving half of one extremely burned looking toast in his mouth.

"It's school. Extremely fun." I shrugged and walked towards the fridge to look for something edible. When my dad was away on business trips, my brothers mostly lived off of cheese toasties and pizza. I on the other hand needed a bit more variation in my diet. Sighing I closed the fridge door again before grabbing an apple out of the bowl next to it. "Where's Marius? He should be home by now." I made a mental note to go buy groceries tomorrow.

Fredrik chuckled and stuffed his face with the rest of the burned toast. "Marius is in his room." He threw a glance in my direction as I hopped onto the counter next to him. "A little birdie told me you and Chris Schistad are texting." He looked down at the rest of his toasts that were still being burned in the sandwich maker.

"What little birdie?" I scoffed and took a bite out of the apple.

Fredrik shrugged his shoulders. "We might have a common friend. So?"

"A common friend?" I squinted my eyes at him. "Don't you find it weird that you dropped out of school at sixteen and yet still hang with guys who just successfully finished their school career every chance you get?" I grinned and took another bite. "Maybe you have a trauma."

"Shut up." He playfully hit my knee and put some more toasts in between the sandwich maker's plates. "He's friends with someone I work with."

"And Chris Schistad's so called friend told you we were texting?"

"Well, are you?" Fredrik looked up at me. "It'd be weird considering the fact that he is like my age."

"You're not even two years older, Fred. It's not a big deal." I crossed my arms in front of my chest. "Maybe we are texting."

My brother scrunched up his brows whilst fishing the toasties out of the sandwich maker. "How did that happen?"

Shrugging my shoulders, I jumped down from the counter getting a glass of water for myself.

"Chris messaged me via Facebook to ask me questions about Alex and him being on the police academy since he was thinking about applying." I took a sip from my water. "And then we kind of just kept on talking and exchanged numbers. We realized we like the same TV shows and movies and had the same kind of humour. Things like that."