Birthday craziness

We were deep in our last semester of our freshmen year when we got beckoned home for the weekend. God only knows what the parents planned for us, and trying to study was making concentrating impossible for school.

We arrived home, greeted with chaos from everyone, which meant one thing. Liz and I looked at each other and sighed.

"What's happening, and why don't you two look happy?" Scarlett asked.

"It's our birthday weekend," we both said.

"That's a good thing, isn't it?" She asked.

"Except our parents make a big deal about it," I said with slight frustration.

"I'm lost," she said to us.

"Since the twins here took their sweet time getting here, Uncle Ryan and Aunt Alex always go all out for their birthdays," Elijah said.

"What do you mean, sweet time?" She asked.

"It means they were desperate to have kids, and when Aunt Alex got pregnant, it was the end of the world as we know it," Junior said.

Dad walked in and smacked him upside of the head, "Stop talking."

"Christ, Uncle Ryan! What was that for?" Junior snapped, rubbing his head.

"Because you should be happy, Matthew and Elizabeth are here." He leaned over and kissed Liz, "Hi, honey."

"Hi, Dad," Liz greeted Dad.

Dad hugged me. "Hey, baby boy."

"Dad, how many times I have to tell you that I'm not a baby?" I groaned.

"Psh, you will always be our babies," Dad informed us.

"And it's nice of you and Mom to tell us that I was born first," I said to him.

"What are you talking about, Matthew? You were," Dad said to me.

"Not according to Dr. Monroe," I said to him.

"Semantics. Who cares who was born first? Come on and help us set things up, or you can deal with your mom," Dad said as we followed him.

Mom put us to work, and everyone worked to get things set for the party. While we were busy with party preparations, Jordan and Elijah left to see Josh. I asked Elijah if he wanted me to go, but he declined my offer. I hated seeing him so conflicted.

Jordan and Elijah pulled up to the hospital, and Jordan looked at Elijah, "Ready?"

"If I say no, would that make a difference?" Elijah asked in a somber tone.

"Look, Elijah, I get you don't want to be here," Jordan reasoned.

"Dad, he tried to kill me and everyone else. He threw me through a living room. So, forgive me for the apprehension that I'm feeling at the moment," Elijah said in a huff.

"Look, do this one thing for me, and you will never have to come back here again," Jordan ordered.

"Fine," Elijah huffed, getting out of the car. He walked with Jordan into the hospital, and they went to Josh's room.

When they arrived, Josh was sitting in a chair, looking out the window. He turned his head and looked at Elijah, and his face lit up, "Jordy, you came!"

Jordan looked at Elijah and nodded to him. He walked over to Josh and crouched by him, "Hey, Joshy."

"Where were you?" Josh questioned Elijah.

"I've been a little busy. I'm sorry I haven't visited you," Elijah said to Josh with his ice-blue eyes.

"It's okay. You're here now," Josh beamed. Then Jordan walked over and crouched in front of Josh. Josh looked at Jordan and furrowed his brows. He looked from Jordan to Elijah and kept looking back and forth until something clicked. He squeezed his eyes shut.