Changes

After hearing what Uncle Jordan said to us that night, it made us even more anxious than we were heading off to college. Liz was having a hard time, more so, but she had Drew. Junior had Hope, Eli had Davina, and I had myself.

Sure, I dated, but no one seemed right to me. Most of the girls at school were alike. The girls want you because your family has money or how you look. None of those things meant a damn thing to me. I wanted someone that wanted me for me.

Mattress Mary was one of those girls who was better at spreading her legs than using her brain. It's not like she had one, anyway. I still shake my head, thinking about when I took her to prom. The girl was psycho, and I knew it, but when desperation mixed with loneliness sets in, you'll pick anyone to take. I should have gone stag.

Then I met this girl. She was breathtakingly beautiful and so confident. She was classy and dignified with how she handled herself. That was such a turn on to me. I couldn't stop thinking about that girl, but unfortunately, I didn't see her again after that night. I looked at graduation, but it's like she vanished. I figure it nothing would ever happen between us. Plus, we had another problem to deal with in the form of one of mom's crazy fans. Yep, I can't wait to deal with that on top of college and single — yay, for the single life.

I finished loading my stuff in the car. I went back up into my room, making sure I had everything, when I heard a knock at my door.

"Matthew, they're waiting for you," Dad said.

"I'm coming. I wanted to make sure I had everything," I said. I picked up my backpack and slung it over one shoulder. I walked past Dad, and he grabbed me, pulling me into a hug.

"Take care of yourself, Matthew," Dad whispered in my ear.

"I will, Dad," I assured Dad. He let go of me as we walked downstairs. My dad was awesome, and I would miss him and Mom. I would even miss RJ. It still seemed unreal that we were leaving for college.

Liz and I gave our family hugs, and with mom, she hugged me like she didn't want to let go of me. I get it. It was hard letting your kids go, especially how long you waited to have them.

"I love you, Mom," I said, hugging my mom.

"I love you, Matthew. Take care of your sister and yourself," Mom said, still hugging me. I could feel her cheeks wet from tears.

"Always," I reassured Mom. I let her go, then got into the back of Drew's car. His dad was sending his bike later, after we settled.

Everyone climbed into the vehicles. Liz and I stuck our head out of the car window and waved to the three of them. Junior and Elijah already said goodbye to their families, as did Drew. We made the trip to Saintwood College, and I stretched out on the backseat.

It was a three-hour drive, so I pulled out a book and read while Drew and Liz made goo-goo eyes at each other. Okay, well, maybe they didn't, but they teased each other on our way to school.

I was reading when Drew said to me, "Matty, are you sleeping?"

"No, Nancy, I'm not," I shot back, still reading my book.

Drew chuckled, and I rolled my eyes.

"Junior wants to know if we want to get settled first or eat," Drew said, trying to read the text while driving while getting the third degree from my sister.

"I don't care. Whichever," I said, flipping a page.

"Here, reply to Junior before your sister gets us killed, distracting me with her yelling," Drew said, tossing the phone back to me. I dropped my book and caught his cellphone. I replied to Junior and his response to me. Could I be any more indecisive?

I wasn't indecisive, but I gave up deciding a long time ago with Junior. Drew's phone beeped with a new message from Elijah. I read it and sent one back to him.

"What the hell is wrong with Matt?" Elijah said, leaning forward towards Junior.

"You know, it's Matt being Matt," Junior said.

"Dude, Matt's been in a mood ever since that night our parents talked to us," Elijah said.

"Matt will be fine. Well, once he finds a girlfriend," Junior chuckled.

"God, I hope so, because I'm not dealing with his PMS ass while we're at school," Elijah grumbled.

Junior chuckled as he drove.

We pulled up to a house. I guess we're getting settled, then getting food. We got out and grabbed our stuff, and went into the house that our parents rented for us. They furnished it for us. We all found our rooms. All the happy couples shared a room, and I was alone again. Eh, no one will bother me.

The rooms were spacious, and the beds were huge. I took the bedroom at the end of the hallway because I didn't want to sandwich between two horny couples. One was bad enough. Once all of us settled into our bedrooms, we left to get food: first stop, Kate's Bakery. Uncle Frazier and her were co-owners of it, but he did most of the work closer to home while she handled the college crowd.

For an older woman in her seventies, she was pretty active and did not look that old. None of our great aunts and uncles looked that old, which surprised me. The seven of us walked in and found a table. This silver-haired woman came out and greeted us.

"Well, I'll be damn! Where the hell is my hug?" Kate exclaimed.

"Sorry, Aunt Kate," Junior said, standing up and hugging her along with the rest of us.

"Hungry?" Kate asked us.

"You do know who we are, right? Dementia hasn't set in, I hope," Elijah said to Kate.

"Boy, I swear I will still take you out back and beat your ass. I did it to your dad and will do it to you," Kate snapped at Elijah. He grinned. Ahh, Aunt Kate is feisty as ever.

"Now, you boys, come give me a hand," Kate said to all us guys, even Drew didn't give her lip — smart man. We returned with sandwiches and beverages for everyone, and she joined us.

As we ate, we caught Aunt Kate up with everything that's happened to us. For some odd reason, she took a liking to Drew. There's no gaining for taste, I guess. This woman thinks the world of Frazier, if that tells you anything.

After we ate, we went to campus to pick up our schedules and books. Good thing the first two years comprise basic courses, because I didn't have a fucking clue what I wanted to do with my life. Nothing caught my interest. I know at some point; I needed to figure it out, but now I wanted to get through this year with minimal issues.

We went back to the house after picking up our stuff, and I headed to my room. I know I'm acting antisocial, but how would you feel like the odd man out while someone has someone? It sucks ass.

I stayed in my bedroom for the rest of the night. I laid on my bed in a pair of sweats and tank-top when I heard a knock at my door. The person opened it, revealing Liz. She came over and laid down next to me, "Matt, are you okay?"

"Yeah, why?" I asked.

"You seemed a little moody since we left home," Liz said to me.

I set my book down and looked at Liz. I took her hand in mine. "I'm fine. I'm dealing with changes."

Liz gave me a soft smile, "Okay, but you know if you need to talk, I'm always here for you."

"I know, sis," I said, giving Liz a reassuring smile. She kissed me on the cheek and got up and left, closing the door behind her.

That was the thing about Liz. No matter what was going on with us, we had that unshakable bond as a twin. For that, I was grateful. I put my book on the nightstand and turned off my light. Tomorrow was a new day. Let's see how it goes.