The next morning, Emily had looked through the wooden box Stefan had left for the two girls, that was filled with vervain items. Emily wanted something to protect her best friend, Caroline Forbes, from vampires. Knowing that the blonde was very stylish, Emily grabbed the jewelry that Caroline would really like. It happened to be a silver heart shaped locket with vervain in the center.

Emily and Elena were walking towards Mystic Falls High School with the blonde right by their side. Caroline was looking down at her necklace with a smile, "it's so pretty. Thank you." Caroline looked over at her best friend, Emily, "God, it'll go with, like, everything." Caroline's face scrunched in confusion, "what's the occasion?"

Emily looked over at Caroline with fake hurt, "can I not give my best friend a gift?"

Caroline rolled her eyes, "of course you can." The three girls sat down at red table out of the school. Caroline smirked over at her best friend, "lesbian friend necklace? 'Cause we're freaky like that?" Caroline asked with sarcasm.

Emily smirked back at the blonde and joked, "you know it, Care."

Elena rolled her eyes at her sister but then she turned to Caroline seriously, "your friendship is important to us."

Caroline knew that Emily and her liked to give each other things since they were so close. But with Elena, she never did do that. So Caroline looked over at Elena weirdly, "why are you being so mushy?"

Elena thought for a moment, "because, you've been avoiding me, and I wanted you to know that whatever is going on with you and Matt, it's okay." Elena explained to Caroline.

Caroline glanced over at Emily for second, she was glad that her best friend didn't tell her own twin sister about what she said about liking Matt. Caroline turned back to Elena and spoke carefully, "I was gonna talk to you about that. I was, but there's just not much to say." Caroline shrugged, "you know, we've hung out a couple times. That's it, but... I feel like we've peeked as friends." Once Caroline saw Elena nod her head, she quickly shook her head, "this is weird. I shouldn't be talking to you about this. It's weird." Caroline looked over at the amused Emily, "it's weird, right?"

Emily chuckled, "it's a little weird."

Elena slapped her sister's arm lightly with a scowl before looking at Caroline with a small smile, "if it's what you and Matt want, then it's not about me."

Caroline looked at Elena with furrowed brows, "but it's all about you. Matt's not over you, and we all know it."

Elena shrugged her shoulders, "I'm with Stefan now. Matt understands that. He knows he has to move on." Emily knew that Caroline was right.

Everyone knew that Matt will forever be in love with Elena, but everyone also knows that Elena has moved on. Emily saw the facial expression on her best friend's face, Caroline didn't believe a word Elena was saying. Once Caroline looked over at Emily, she gave Caroline a small smile which Caroline returned. Caroline just needed confidence that Elena wouldn't be any competition for Matt's attention.

Emily sat a small table in Mystic Grill with her sister, Elena and their friend, Bonnie. Who was shocked when Emily explained to her what she found out yesterday. That she and Elena were adopted. Bonnie shook her head, "I can't believe you guys are adopted. I never saw that coming."

"Tell me about it," Emily mumbled. She couldn't believe it either. Never in her life had she ever thought she and Elena would have been adopted.

Elena nodded her head in agreement, "and it gets weirder." Elena glanced over at her sister before continuing, "we looked at our birth certificate. It lists Miranda and Grayson Gilbert as our birthparents." Elena huffed, "none of it makes sense."