80

When I come back downstairs, I smile, seeing Michael leaning back in the chair, studying the magazine. I think I'm having trouble believing he is here. Definitely not something I expected to have happen. If he heard the conversation with my mom he is nice enough not to mention it.

"So, did you learn anything interesting?" I ask, standing near the stairs.

"That I have no idea how to barbeque," he says with sincerity, then winks at me.

"So I was wondering if you want to go somewhere with me," I say, watching him. I've missed looking at him, even if it's only been a day since I left the Lyons' cottage.

"With us, we're always going somewhere aren't we?" he teases. He closes the magazine and sets it on the table as he stands up. He walks over to me and puts a hand on either side of my waist.

I stare up at him. "So is that a yes?"

"Yes." He smiles down at me, and I smile back. I move to go get a pen to write a note to Andy in case he comes home and I'm not here, but Michael doesn't let go of me.

"Yes?" I inquire.

"What is this?" he asks. He's pointing to the letter I got yesterday, which sits on the counter beside us. Clearly his observation skills are way too keen.

"Well..." I reach over and hand it to him. "You can read it." He takes the letter from me. I have a feeling he already knows what's on it, confirmed by how quickly he reads it.

He smiles down at me, something beautiful about the way his eyes look. "Amanda, this is awesome. I'm really happy for you. Congratulations."

I feel like I might burst with how happy it makes me feel to share this news with him. "Thank you," I say sincerely. "I'll send you a copy of the newspaper."

"I'd like that." His smile deepens.

After I leave a quick note for Andy letting him know in brief where I am and with who, we get into André's car. I feel an intense excitement to watch Michael drive –something I've never witnessed before. He expertly backs the car out of the driveway and I direct him down the street. We are headed to the closest beach, the one I grew up near, but somehow never took swimming lessons at. It feels like we get there in an instant, and also like it takes forever. I watch his hands on the steering wheel, his eyes on the road. For once I get to watch him intensely instead of the other way around.

"Keep going past this entrance. There's a lot farther down." I direct Michael to park in a little area off of the main parking lot, since I know a spot that's not as well used as the main beach.

We hop out of the car, and I lead him down a wooded path. This far down, the beach is rocky, but the sun is warm, and the water sparkles, greener here than Lake Huron. The main beach is off to the right, just around the pier, and there are enough people there that we can hear splashing, laughing and talking.

"Wow, this would not have been nice to roll around on late at night," Michael remarks, eying the rocky beach.

"That's for sure." I grin at him, and he winks back at me. "Here, come over here."

I take his hand and lead him down the beach, carefully avoiding the small wet pools between rocks. Our destination is a large rock which I discovered ages ago, and which is shaped into a sort of seat. I hop over to it, managing to keep my balance somehow. Likely because Michael is good on his feet and can pull me to a stop if I'm about to fall over. We both take a seat on the rock, which he admires for a second. He rubs his thumb along my hand.

"Nice rock," he says. "But mine is bigger."

I shake my head at him. He grins at me as he puts his arm around my shoulder and pulls me into a sideways hug. We look out at the water in front of us. For once our world isn't dark and secretive, and I don't feel guilty or nervous. We are just here together, enjoying this moment as we should be, although I had no idea it would happen when I woke up this morning. Maybe Devy was right all along –the reading wasn't generic in the slightest. Things worked out somehow, in a way I never thought they would. Either way, I plan to enjoy this, because now I know exactly how much I want Michael here with me. We'll figure out how to see each other. We'll continue to write letters and, maybe someday we'll go as far as he wants to. But it won't be rushed, and I won't be scared. I look up at him and see him looking back. For once, I find solace in his intense brown-eyed gaze.

I hope you enjoyed the novel, please let me know what you thought in the comments! Thank you for reading and for your support :)