21

"I'll take you to look at it tomorrow," Michael says, closing a cupboard door with a slam.

He's talking about the small convenience store a few blocks from the Lyons' cottage. "Okay," I reply. I reposition myself on the couch so that I don't stare at the empty ceiling but at the also completely blank wall instead –are there any things to look at in this room that aren't completely bland? "Since you're up, want to get me that drink my mom suggested?" Although the juice initially quenched my thirst and helped me regain some energy, I think my mom was really onto something.

"Sure. What do you want? We have, um, juice, water, pop..."

"Surprise me?' I giggle.

"I always do," Michael replies goofily.

I roll my eyes, laughing, as he comes down the steps beside the couch and sets two glasses on the table. I pick mine up, eyeing him curiously, "And when did you start drinking water?"

"Well, Miss Franklin, I think you'd be surprised to know that I drink it all the time."

He dodges the blow I aim at his shoulder and sinks into a chair on the other side of the table. I look at him with a smile on my face. He drinks one sip and sighs with his eyes closed, leaning back into the chair. I don't think he knows I am watching him –fine with me if he wants to give me the opportunity.

Michael opens his eyes and raises an eyebrow at me. "Yes?"

I smile, dropping my gaze, "Oh, nothing."

"I can see that," he says wryly. He doesn't surrender that easily.

I look back up at him, my smile growing, "Uh-huh? What else do you see?"

He shakes his head, finally looking away himself, "I don't think you really want to know that."

Before I have a chance to reply, we hear giggling coming from outside. His eyebrows shoot up in surprise and he quickly gets up from his chair. I sit up straight with my back against the couch, watching him. He moves to the picture window and twitches the curtain aside. I see his shoulders sag in relief before he turns to me and says, "It's just my parents."

"They sound giggly."

"I know." Michael looks troubled, "I don't think I've ever seen my mother have so many alcoholic beverages in such a short time in my life."

"Oops. Maybe my parents are a bad influence."

He shrugs, but I can see he is still concerned. "I feel like I should put you to bed, you must be tired. Hell, I am tired, and I didn't even...well, you know..." he trails off, his eyes looking down at the floor.

I smile kindly, trying to lead him away from the fainting topic, "Well, Mr. Lyon, I am technically in my bed already. I sleep here, remember?"

It works. "How convenient," he says, his eyes running up and down the length of the couch.

Bursting through the door, still laughing and completely unaware Michael and I are in the room, Alice and Marc put their heads together and launch into a tight lip lock. I jump off of the couch, spilling both glasses of water as I bump the table and gasp at the sight as the icy water washes over me. Michael stares at them incredulously, and then the corners of his lips begin twitching. Before I know it, he starts to laugh. I stare at him, feeling incredulous. This is incredibly awkward, how can be laughing?

Glancing back at Alice and Marc, who somehow still haven't noticed us, I decide I don't want to be here for the "family reunion" when they do. I run up the stairs to the kitchen, set my now empty glass on the counter and speed the last few steps down the hall to Ann's bedroom, wondering if I will ever be able to look at Alice and Marc again without feeling utterly embarrassed.

Sorry for the delay! I hope you are enjoying the book so far. If so, vote or leave me a comment :)