17

"I just can't imagine that!"

Robert and I are walking back along the beach toward our families. After our conversation about Michael, we continued walking for a while telling stories. I told him some stories about my friend group which he seemed to find entertaining, particularly one of my friends, Monica, who is probably the most sarcastic person I've ever met. In turn, he spoke about his family, and most of the stories involved Michael as the butt of some joke –poor guy. It's nice and brotherly of Robert to have so many stories of Michael in his memory, and they give me good outside snapshots into his life from someone else's perspective. In his letters I really only get Michael's side of things.

"Yea, trust me, it was priceless," Robert says, laughing even more as he sees the incredulity on my face.

"What did he...do?" I ask, intrigued.

"He just walked away! That was the best part." Both of us burst out laughing. Robert definitely knows how to make me laugh.

When we both get our breath back, Robert glances at me. "How about a race back to the group?" he asks.

"You're just like your brother!" I holler after him as he takes off down the beach with me on his heels. As Michael's would, Robert's laughter floats back to me on the wind, and I pick up my pace.

It's exhilarating running down the beach like this. Colours, people, water, sand and sun flying by. I feel free, a feeling I've been having more and more on this vacation. Almost like life lasts forever and forever never comes. Where moments pass so slowly. I wish this feeling would stay once this week is over. I remember just in time to throw my cover-up back on before we reach our little group out of breath and covered in sweat. I hope Michael won't mind another swim –if he knows what I mean. I feel like I need to kiss him all over again now that I know more about his past –maybe it'll help prove I'm different from those other two girls.

"Robert! Amanda! You've been gone for an hour. Where have you been?" Alice asks, mostly directing her question at Robert. I don't reply. I also notice the mostly empty vodka cooler in her hand and the empty bottle beside her chair –I hope she can make it back to the cottage later.

I look around for Michael and find him squatting next to a brilliant looking sand castle, making some finishing touches. It looks amazing. Maybe he can teach me how to make those sometime this week, since it would be tough in a letter. I run over to him, careful where I step.

"Hey," I say, standing over his shoulder.

He looks up and smiles. "Hello there. I'll be done this in a minute, you can watch if you like. But," he pauses, holding up a hand and looking very serious, "don't touch anything."

"Oh, don't worry, I won't," I promise. I already know I shouldn't touch sand castles from my short experience earlier. I wasn't even able to succeed at filling a bucket, and flipping it upside down into a nice bucket shaped tower. Maybe Michael's amazing sand castle making abilities will rub off on me if I continue to be around him.

I move back a little –cautious again of where my feet are– to watch him better. He's working on the highest part of the castle, a tower of sorts on the right side inner wall –it has two walls. Apparently this castle doesn't want any trespassers. It looks pretty realistic all things considered, with four towers, a courtyard in the center, and another one leading from the castle's main doors. Those doors are attached to the inner wall, surrounding the castle with three more towers, while a space between it and the outer wall hosts two more towers on either side of the entrance. I am seriously impressed. I have never seen a sand castle this detailed –Alice wasn't joking about the Lyons' sand castle making expertise. I can almost imagine people living in it –even though the sand would make shifty ground to stand, walk, sleep, and eat off of. I wonder how Michael became such a great sand castle maker.

I don't have to wait much longer for him to finish the detail on the tower. He stands up and smiles. With a quick glance at our parents to check their attention level, he grabs my hand and says, "Pictures?" I smile and let him pull me after him towards my brother's camera bag by his dad's chair. 

Sorry for the delay (been a busy week)! Hope you are enjoying to story so far. Let me know what you think in the comments! Thank you :)