44

Michael let Mick know that we want to visit his house tomorrow if we can't get over there today. Robert and Andy set a strict procession order for walking back to the cottage: Michael and I side by side in the middle, Robert in front of us, and Andy behind. My bet is that they saw something like this in a game and saw an opportunity for replicating it. Apparently there was some kind of beach volleyball competition at the beach today so it's not the most pleasant place to be, and our families decided to come back early from their outing. Andy also let me know there would be food soon, which is always a priority for him.

When we get back, Michael hands me the candy he picked up for me at the convenience store, and I go to Ann's room to hide it in my stuff in the dresser, while he puts his in his room. My parents probably wouldn't be too excited by the idea that I have a bunch of candy stashed away. I'm glad to find that he got me a good assortment of soft and hard candy that will be a nice treat sometime.

I head back out to the kitchen to find Alice unpacking the groceries that Robert and Michael brought back. I have a feeling they are part of a special meal planned for tomorrow, our last night at the cottage. Marc prepares a sandwich bar that is pretty well-stocked, and I help myself. I also pick up some of Alice's potato salad. All of us sit outside on the deck, enjoying the sunshine from the porch instead of the sand. After a brief complaint session about the volleyball competition –partly Jean's annoyance that he isn't participating– everyone settles down. Michael lets his parents know that we ran into Mick, and I learn that the Lyons are on good terms with Mick's family, who live here year round. I have the feeling my mother is happy to hear Michael and I weren't just alone. Andy says he saw the Fab Four talking, which confuses Marc and Alice a lot at first. Luckily my parents jump in to explain about my friend group's Beatles interest, and I fill out their explanation to make sure my friends seem like more than just Beatles fans. Michael also adds a couple things as I talk, and I see Alice listening and understanding how well Michael knows my friends whom he has never met.

After lunch I decide it's time for me to test the Lyon's skills at soccer and run inside to get my ball. It takes me mere seconds to fully inflate it –that might be due to the amount of help I get from the Lyon boys. I put aside the pump and kick the ball into the backyard.

We fashion a make-do field with Frisbee goal posts at either end –a very small field considering the size of a backyard. We divide ourselves into teams. Our parents volunteer to watch and ref instead of play, forcing Ann to join in to make the teams even. Since four of us play regularly, or used to in Ann's case, we want to try to split the teams evenly. We decide Andy, Robert, and I will face off against Jean, Michael, and Ann.

"We're gonna kick their butts," I say, one arm around Andy and the other around Robert in the huddle by our goalposts. The grass feels like it'll be the perfect length to run on.

Andy, having seen me play soccer, grins and says confidently, "Sure thing, sis."

Robert, on the other hand, looks kind of questionably at me, and says worriedly, "Uh...yea, sure thing, Mandy."

I laugh along with Andy. "Just wait 'til you see her," Andy says encouragingly, "You won't regret being on this team."

"Okay," I say, silliness gone, replaced with a seriousness I gain only by playing soccer. "What position?" I ask Andy.
"Not goalie," he says, his tone firm, "but anywhere else is fine." His smile is back by the end of the sentence –my brother really needs to learn how to be serious, this is soccer.

"Keeper?" I ask Robert hesitantly.

"Yes," he says, looking a little relieved. "I'm no good anywhere else." Lucky for me, since the only place I'd rather not be is in the net.