74

I open my eyes. I can't remember the dream I was having. I yawn and stretch, feeling like I just got the most sleep I've had in a week. Except maybe the day I had a fever. I reach over and find my glasses to slip them on. I swing my legs over the side of the bed, narrowly avoiding stepping on the candy, which has miraculously stayed inside of its bag. The notebook is upset on the floor, so I pick it up and close it, happy none of the pages got crumpled or folded –there's a couple letters in there I want to send sometime. I set it on the nightstand, then look on the floor for the pen. It takes some reaching and flattening of my arm under the bed, but my fingers find it and roll it until I can pick it up and place it on the notebook. I look at the candies, deciding whether I want to eat them yet.

I bring the empty pasta salad container downstairs, candies in my other hand. I put the container down and hear my stomach gurgle, so I set the candies down for later, and prepare myself a bowl of Cheerios. The milk has been hanging out for a while since we were away, so I sniff it, then decide I just won't try it. I take the Cheerios to the table and sit down to eat them with my hands.

Outside the sun shines on another beautiful summer day. I wonder suddenly what the Lyons are up to. I haven't been to their house in a long time, and it was for a much shorter period than this last visit, so I can't really remember exactly what it's like. I wonder if André's gathered all of them to show pictures of his trip or something.

I get myself a glass of water from the tap, chugging it back before filling it again. I take it upon myself to grant myself a couple candies, then finish off the Cheerios by tipping the bowl into my mouth.

The phone starts to ring. At least I'm awake this time. I set the bowl down quickly and walk over to the phone on the wall. My parents' cell phone number is displayed.

"Hello?"

"Good morning, miss," says my mom kindly. "Surprised you're even awake."

"Yea, yea," I say. I walk over to the table and sit back down in my chair.

"So how are things going? Got the laundry in yet?"

"Uh, no, not yet," I reply. Definitely forgot I was supposed to do that.

"Well time's a wasting," she warns, although she doesn't sound too worried.

"I'll get it done after I finish breakfast."

"Ha! I knew you couldn't have been awake for long."

"So how is the party?" I ask, changing the subject.

"Well, it doesn't really start until later. But Jane and John seem prepared for a lot of guests. Your dad and I wanted to check in this morning before things get too rowdy to make sure you two are alright."

"Oh, yea, of course."

"Did Andy finish the grass?" she says, something underlying her tone.

I hope she doesn't want to talk to him. "Yep, he did." Before she can ask if Andy is around I change the subject again, "So how long have Jane and John been married again?"

"Fifty years," she says with pride, they're her aunt and uncle so she's allowed to be a little proud

"That's a long time to be with one person," I say sincerely. I can't even imagine what that feels like. One week seems like a lifetime.

There's a pause, then my mom seems to soften a bit. "Amanda, I'm sorry you aren't here to celebrate with us."

"Me too," I reply. "But I know that I messed up."

I can almost see her hesitate through the phone. "You know Joe was just looking out for you. He just wanted to make sure that you're safe."

My eyes narrow as my suspicion is confirmed. "Uh, yea, I know he was just trying to take care of me," I say awkwardly, still not very happy about the way he chose to do it.

"Mhm," she intones back.

"Well, I guess you better get back to Jane and John."

"And you need to get that laundry out!" she says pointedly.

"I will," I say.

"Okay. Call us if you need anything at all."

Ismile, knowing that my mom says that whenever they are away, but this time Ifeel like I really needed to hear it. "Thanks. I will. Have a good time today."