3

We emerge from the driveway of Michael's cottage a little while later and stop to catch our breath on the side of the road. Michael drops my hand and it tingles where he held it. Resting my hands on my knees, I attempt to slow my breathing. Michael is almost in the same position, except he is leaning more on his left leg. Apparently he stubbed the big toe on his right foot on a very large rock that usually isn't there in the daytime.

I look over at him and straighten, breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth. I walk until I am standing in the middle of the road, and close my eyes. A breeze is coming from the direction of the lake, and I spread my arms out and lean my neck back, feeling free as the wind passes by me. I sway, not noticing as goose bumps appear on my arms and back, and how my hair is now slowly coming out of its tight bun.

"AMANDA!" Michael's scream is followed by a honk, and me blinking into dazed awareness. Michael is looking at me with eyes that are wide with fear. I look back at him for a second, and then run -screaming, hair flying- towards him. He catches me in his arms and holds me as we both watch a car drive by at a speed that is definitely higher than the limit. Our eyes follow the car away down the road, until it turns, and there is nothing and nobody around but us.

Michael drops his arms and stands back from me, clearing his throat, and maybe it's just a trick of the light but his face looks flushed. "Uh, sorry," he says uncertainly.

I turn my head and scratch my arm nervously. Unsure what to say, I turn back to Michael. My eyes catch his in the darkness and I see them twinkle again. The awkwardness of this moment, of having him touch me, and how giddy it makes me feel, makes my lips twitch. Before I realize it, I burst into laughter thinking about what just happened, and he starts to laugh back at me. I have to look away because of how much harder it will make me laugh to look at him.

Michael puts a hand on my arm and turns to me with his eyes glowing and a grin splitting his face. My laughter stops abruptly as my nerves come back, and my lower lip starts to tremble. Michael smiles more deeply, and moves his hand from my arm to my hand -yes, Michael Lyon is holding my hand for the second time in only a matter of minutes. Michael blinks, and then takes off running down the road, dragging me behind him as I try to catch up.

"Michael!" I shout, and hear laughter as a reply. "Michael! You don't even know where we're going!" I shout, and he stops, pulling me up beside him. He turns his face to the sky and spins in a tiny circle with me trailing behind him, similarly to how I acted on the road just now. "Seriously, Michael," I say sincerely, and take my hand from his -I need to get his attention somehow. He looks at me in surprise, and I giggle at his slightly upset expression.

He creases his eyebrows and shakes his head and I wonder why I ruined the moment. Igrab his hand once more -who can blame me? "Take me to the beach, Michael. That's where I want to go," I whisper. Michael looks at me, his face blank, but his eyes shining, before nodding and starting off toward the beach trail.

Tell me what you thought in the comments! If you've enjoyed what you've read so far, please vote! Thank you :)