38

In the morning I wake up to a stream of sunlight shining underneath the curtains and creeping across the floor to the edge of the bed. Michael's arm is around me, holding me tight to his chest and trapping heat between us. I lay there for a time, in the silence of early morning, feeling peaceful. I don't want to disturb him because then this feeling of security and peace will end, and he will probably have to go back to his room. I reach my hand down and placed it on top of his, closing my eyes for a moment and rubbing my thumb along the back of his hand.

The hand underneath mine flexes, and I open my eyes. Turning my head on the pillow, Michael's face comes into view, composed and peaceful –we must have been thinking along the same lines. His brown eyes hold mine and it looks like he hasn't moved except to let me know he was awake.

Suddenly he breaks my gaze and turns to stretch his arms up. I watch him, feeling content. He sits up and sighs. "I want to talk to you about something," he confides. He avoids my eyes, instead staring toward the sunlight on the floor.

"Okay..." I say hesitantly. I sit up and look at him, wondering what's up.

"I want to tell our parents..." he trails off for a second. Then, he looks at me. "I don't like secrets. It's uncomfortable. I want to be able to show concern for you. I want to touch you..." He reaches out to my hand beside him and slowly interlocks his fingers with mine from above. The pressure of his touch makes me realize once again that I have a guy in bed with me.

I take a deep breath. "So how do you want to do it?" I have no idea how to bring up this kind of information.

"I think I'll just tell my mom first," he says, considering.

"Okay...then we just rely on her to spread the word?" I look at him with interest.

"I think we can kind of ease them into it. I mean, we have already been writing to each other for a long time, and they know about that." He gives me a small smile. "So I think they'll see us interacting, and come to their own conclusions."

His words make me think about what my mom and Robert said yesterday. "I think they might know about us sneaking out," I say, my forehead crinkling in concern.

"Really?" he asks with surprise. "I thought we were careful."

"Well...Robert noticed I wasn't in bed when he was passing through in the middle of the night with his spider friend. And, my mom told me to 'go to bed at night.'" I chew my tongue.

"Oh... Well I mean, it's okay if they know about us now, right?" Michael asks.

"Yea... I just don't think my mom would be thrilled to know that I've been out all night with a guy." I blush, wondering what she would think.

Unperturbed, Michael nods. "We can be more careful when we leave."

I laugh. "Ah, so you've enjoyed the sneaking out, have you?"

He winks at me. "Maybe a little."

"And what else do you like?" I ask, suddenly feeling adventurous. He doesn't answer, watching me with a knowing look on his face. I reach up and put my hand on the side of his face, then I lean in to kiss him slowly. His hand comes up around me and tangles in my hair. I pull away from him, biting my lip, my eyes shining. His gaze is intense, and it makes my heart beat faster.

"And what are you getting up to?" His other hand comes up to brush a lock of my hair behind my ear.

"I dunno..." I trail off.

"Come here," he says. I let him pull me closer so that my body is turned to him. He kisses me again, and his hands are on my back. I realize how thin my pyjamas feel, and my breathing gets heavy. I slide my legs over his to get into a more comfortable position, and end up straddling him.

He breaks away to look at me, his eyes lighting up. "This position gives me a lot of ideas, Mandy," Michael says, using my nickname to tease me. He curls a piece of hair around his finger as I stare down at him.

"Well you better not be using any of those ideas, Michael Lyon," I tease him back. "Wouldn't want anyone to walk in on something you can't easily explain."

"Oh yea?" Michael asks. Using his height and strength, he picks me up and flips me onto my back so that I'm underneath him. He pins my wrists above my head and smirks at me. I stare up at him in surprise. "I don't think you're really in the right position to make orders," he says, and kisses me hard. His tongue finds its way into my mouth, and he doesn't stop until I'm gasping for breath. "Nothing we can't explain," he says huskily, and a little shakily against my lips. His eyes are half-closed, and I suddenly realize that he is fighting for control. I don't know what to say, or if I should move. At last he opens his eyes, and his face softens, looking into my eyes and seeing my slightly shaken composure. "No, Amanda," he says sincerely, "I would never...use you for something that you didn't want to do. Never."

He releases me, rolling off of me and sitting on the side of the bed with his feet on the floor. I stare at him for a second, trying to understand if I did something wrong, or if he would have kept going just now if something hadn't stopped him. What stopped him anyway? I follow him to the side of the bed, a little slower than normally, and put my arms around his waist, resting my chin on his shoulder. He turns his head to face me. I watch his eyes cautiously, unsure what he is thinking, but wanting to understand him.

"I'm sorry," he says, running his thumb along my lower lip, his eyes following it. I close my own, and feel him press his lips to mine softly, as if in apology for the rough way he used me before. Instead of letting him go, I kiss him back, trying to imitate the hard way he kissed me, and show him that it was okay. He pulls away from me. I open my eyes, but his face is a mask again. He carefully unlocks my arms from around him and I watch him stand up. I feel confused about what I want from him right now.

"Go back to sleep," he says softly. He leans down and kisses my cheek. I grab his hand as he pulls away, hoping he knows that I'm not mad about what happened. He stops.

"Michael..." I trail off, not sure how to put this feeling into words. Wanting something that I've never had before, but being a little scared of what it is at the same time.

"I want this to be right," he says slowly. "I want you to be alright with everything." His words are sincere, and they make me wonder for a second about just what Michael's past experiences were. What did Robert mean about him being used?

"Okay," I agree softly. If he wants to talk to me about that stuff, it'll probably be on his terms. And I can't get mad at him for wanting to take things slowly. Michael crosses to the door, and slips out silently. I sit staring after him for a long time, wondering what might have happened if he hadn't left.

Hope you're enjoying the story so far! Let me know what you think in the comments :)