59

I wake up suddenly, not sure why, feeling a little groggy. I glance at the clock, trying to blink to clear my vision. It's only been an hour thankfully. Although I don't know why Michael hasn't come to get me yet. Part of me wishes I could go back to sleep, since I'm still pretty tired, and comfortable for once. But I also know this is my last night at the Lyons' cottage, and I want to make sure Michael and I make the most of it. I yawn, and stretch my arms above my head. I slowly get up, trying to be as quiet as possible. The cottage seems silent around me. Trying to make the least noise I once more use my pyjamas and the cushions to make a human shape under the covers –maybe tonight I'll go get Michael from his room again. I adjust a couple pieces to make the head a little less lumpy and stand back to admire my handiwork.

"Hey, nice job," says Michael softly from the top of the stairs. I jump, startled. He has gotten really good at walking around quietly. I look up at him, standing watching me. Even in the dark, I can feel his eyes on me again, and wonder what he is thinking about.

I walk over to the stairs, and he hands me a sweater. I pull it on quickly, happy to bundle in the warmth, and enjoying that it's a too big for me. He puts a hand out to me, which I take, feeling the rush of excitement of previous nights out with Michael coming back to me. I smile up at him, and let him pull me along to the backdoor. I guess he's decided it doesn't matter if we have a key to the cottage or not, since I have no knowledge that he found it. We won't be out for long then likely. I pull on my flip flops as Michael does the same. We pause for a second, both listening for any sounds of life in the cottage.

Michael pulls on my hand and I look over at him. His eyes are shining in the moonlight. He smiles at me, in a happy, mysterious way. I smile back, urged by the rush in my veins. Michael opens the door in a flash and I follow him out. He pulls the door shut behind us, and we both make our way across the deck and down the stairs. I look into the greenery, wondering if Andy is out there watching us, but I have no idea what my brother is up to tonight. Michael glances back at the cottage, and then back at me, as if he is satisfied no one is coming after us.

We make our way around the side of the cottage without speaking, since there's no need to blow our cover now. Michael's hand is warm in mine, and I can't help but keep a smile on my face as we sneak away on another late night adventure. The brief sleep I got makes it seem like this might all be a dream, which I will gladly continue having if that's the case. We carefully sneak by the front window of the cottage, glancing up to make sure no lights are on inside, or for any other signs of life. Michael pulls me along behind him, his long legs making me fall a bit behind. I can tell he's excited by the way he keeps glancing at me out of the corner of his eye.

The night is clear and dark, and I marvel at how much I feel like it's our world. We have lived together in this nighttime atmosphere for so many days, like it's separate from everything else that happens. The night is cool, making me glad of the sweatshirt I have on, and I pull it a little tighter around me, following Michael's feet around the bend in the driveway.

"Sorry about the wait, by the way." Michael says, looking at me as we reach the end of the asphalt. He lets go of my hand, rolling his neck, and stretching his arms out in front of him as we turn left. The sidewalk still feels hot through my flip flops from the sun today.

"The wait?"

"Yea, I mean, I don't know exactly when we went to sleep...but I meant to come get you sooner." His arms drop down.

I laugh to myself. "Oh, don't worry about it. I fell asleep," I say, trying to sound innocent.

"I did too!" he says, sounding relieved. "And then when I woke up I tripped on my bag and thought I was going to wake the whole cottage up."

"Well, I'm glad you didn't do that," I say sincerely.

"Me too," he agrees, looking at me out of the corner of his eye.

We wander on for a bit in silence, and I realize the direction that we are headed. "So, beach tonight?" I ask, liking how we are going back to the place where this all began.

Michael looks at me, his eyes intense again. "Yep. Big plans for tonight."

"Okay," I say, trying not to blush. His gaze makes me want to squirm. I break eye contact with him, and focus on walking. We aren't touching at the moment and I take a second to think about how I am feeling. Absently, I reach up and comb my fingers through my hair, feeling a little nervous about what might happen tonight. I really wish he was touching me, reassuring me. I feel the need to reach out to him, but I have no idea what will happen when I do.

Michael and I head down the path to the beach. His pace quickens as he nears the sand. I'm close behind him, making sure I don't miss a moment of what is happening. We both expertly dodge the tree in the middle of the path, and I wonder about how long it's stood in the middle of this path without someone getting rid of it. Michael begins to run as we exit the path, and turns right. We continue in this direction until Michael turns into a small dip in the sand that is surrounded by a small group of trees. We both carefully avoid what look like sticks and rocks on the sand, although in the dark it's impossible to tell what they really are.

Michael stops suddenly, and I do the same so that I don't run into him. Before I can react, he turns and pulls me to him. He kisses me hard, deeply enough to make me feel a little dizzy. I'm out of breath from the run, and the nighttime air, and the nerves that come from being alone with a boy on the beach at night. But I don't pull away. My hands are on him, and one twines itself into his hair. We kiss like this for what seems like forever, and I feel lost in desire, not really thinking, just feeling.

Finally Michael draws back from me, breathing heavily. His eyes are intense on me still. I stare back, dreamy-eyed and a little lightheaded. He lets go of me long enough to fall into a sitting position on the sand and allow me to drop down beside him, but his hands are back on me in seconds. "Amanda," he whispers, staring at me, one hand curling a piece of my hair. I don't know what to say, but I know my face is probably giving him some kind of answer, since he moves toward me again.

My legs are stretched out in front me, so as Michael leans into me, I shiver at his touch. His hands slide around my waist, and he rests his forehead against mine. His eyes haven't changed. I shiver again, seeing something in his eyes that I've never seen before.

He kisses me again, playfully, without closing his eyes. When he draws back, I swallow, determined to overcome my nerves, and hoping they aren't written on my face. To distract him from noticing them, I kiss him slowly. His hands tighten around me, holding me to him as he kisses me back.