27

Michael directs me down one of the many paths that lead to the beach, holding my hand lightly. The night seems very quiet around us, only the light crashing of waves in the distance. As we emerge onto the sand, I notice the waves seem small tonight, meaning it must be even more silent out than usual if I can hear the water away from the beach. Seems like this night might be even more perfect than the one before. Tonight it really seems like we are the only people awake, the only people on this beach.

"All good?" Michael asks, as we walk closer to the water.

I look out at the water, wondering at the way my heartbeat speeds up looking at it. It's going to take me awhile to feel comfortable swimming out there again. I have no idea why I decided that I could swim above my head. "Um," I say. "As long as we don't get too close."

He squeezes my hand. "Of course." We stop about halfway down the beach.

I squeeze his hand back, then let go. I run a hand through my hair. "Now to figure out what to recite," I tease.

"Whatever one you want," he says. I can hear the excitement again in his voice.

"Hm," I murmur. I look around, making sure no one seems to be around in the dark. But the beach feels empty around us. A wave crashes on the shore. What poem do I know the best? Probably one I wrote not that long ago. I take a deep breath and glance over at Michael. He stands watching me, not trying to interrupt my thought process. "Let's see what you think of this one," I say. I begin to speak, softly and slowly into the darkness of the night.

"Return to the forefront,

There's a bustle, there's a rush.

Alive activity,

Motion everywhere.

"Opening, beginning, repeating again.

Longer and fuller,

Warmer and colourful,

Only just starting right now.

"Moods are lighter,

Freedom touches the horizon,

And fears are swept away.

Darkness isn't here to stay.

"Get up, go see it,

Only your eyes will believe it.

This is the truth,

It starts today.

"No time to waste,

It won't be long,

Off you go,

Darkness will wait to hold you again."

When I stop speaking, the wind blows a gentle breeze across my shoulders, and I exhale. I feel like I just let go of something that was weighing on me. Michael's arm comes up around my waist. I turn my head to his in the darkness, wondering what he is thinking.

"Thank you," he says softly. "That was a beautiful poem."

I smile, let him rest his head on mine, enjoying this backward hug. I'm glad he got me to say some poetry for him. It's something very special to me, and that's why it was in my letters. But the fact that he wanted to hear it, and really listen, made it even more special. Or maybe it was special because we came back to our special spot. I sigh, closing my eyes to enjoy this moment for even longer. Some small part of my brain analyses that the wind is gone, and the water in front of us is still.

I hope you are enjoying the book so far! Let me know in the comments :) Thank you!