70

I open my eyes, confused and groggy. The view out my window looks different. The lake is gone. I must have fallen asleep, I realize, looking fully out the window. We're backing into the driveway at home.

"Hey, are you awake? Can I have my camera back now?" Andy shakes my shoulder. I blink in his direction and find his camera in my lap. I fumble with it for a couple seconds before handing it over to him.

I try to make my brain work as we come to a stop. I definitely needed the sleep, because I feel so much more refreshed than I did earlier. I reach over and unbuckle myself as my parents both get out of the van. Then I pick up my bag and follow Andy out into the sunshine.

It's still a beautiful day here, although the air isn't as fresh as it was near Lake Huron. Andy hands me his bag to bring inside as he goes to help my dad with the stuff in the back of the van. I make my way to the door, enjoying the familiarity of home. We have a little walkway that leads from the driveway, then up two steps to a small porch. My mom manages to find her house key and opens the door with me following in her wake. My mom heads upstairs, and I follow her, going to Andy's room first to drop off his bag on the floor. He lives across the hall from me, which makes it an easy trip. He and my dad are just bringing in some things downstairs, and after my mom quickly deposits some clothing in the laundry hamper in my parents' room, she goes down to supervise them. I wander into my room.

A feeling of home washes over me, making me smile. For some reason coming home is always comforting. I throw my bag onto the floor near my bed, and drop down onto it. I lay back, feeling like I could probably go right back to sleep.

"Hey Amanda, can you come here please?" my mom calls from downstairs.

"Yea," I yell back. I get up slowly and come down the stairs.

"Hey," she says, meeting me at the bottom. "Andy is gonna mow the grass. I'll need you to do some laundry tomorrow morning." I follow her into the kitchen. Our kitchen looks very different from the Lyons' cottage, especially since it's a lot bigger and a lot fuller. "There's leftovers in the fridge from the cottage, and some older stuff in the freezer. You'll be good for two nights, and then we'll be back on Monday." She opens the freezer door and gestures at some non-descriptive containers. I nod. "Okay," she says, turning back to go upstairs. "Come get the laundry to bring it down. Then it's done."

I take my time following her upstairs, not in any rush to do laundry, or watch them drive away to another party while I'm stuck here with my brother. Andy passes me on the way up the stairs, wearing his traditional grass cutting outfit of old shoes and comfy shorts. He's also got some earbuds in and nods his head in time to the music. He gives me a thumbs up by way of acknowledgement on the way by. I make a face back to him that doesn't really mean much of anything. I walk into my mom's room, where she is busy packing some different, more formal clothes into a bag. She glances at me as I walk in.

"Does this look like the right colour?" she asks, holding up a rose coloured shirt against herself. She looks at the mirror.

"Yea, it looks nice," I reply truthfully. She smiles at me briefly, then continues her packing.

I pick up the laundry hamper from the floor and carry it out the door and down the stairs. I have a feeling my clothes are going to need to be included in this wash tomorrow too. And they will likely be full of sand. Oh well. I hear the lawn mower starting as I reach the kitchen. I turn and make my way downstairs to the laundry room.

Still enjoying? Please vote! Thank you :)