15

"Oh, that was so refreshing!" I say to no one in particular, as I approach our beach site. My wet feet pick up sand and are now covered in it. I run the rest of the way to my mother's chair, trying not to get cold, and yank my towel out from under everything.

"We're not going to have lunch for about an hour, yet," Alice says, watching as Michael roots around in the cooler for something to drink.

"Wow, really? I didn't know we'd been out here that long," I say, drying myself off and rubbing my feet together to get the wet sand off of them.

"Time flies when you're having fun," mutters Michael, catching my eye.

"Amanda, you should build us a sand castle," my mother says, smiling.

"Oh, I think I'd leave that to the boys," Alice warns, "They are pretty good at them."

"She can help," says Robert, looking over at me with his hands full of sand.

"Okay sure." I run over to plop down beside Robert and the hole he has made in the sand. "I have to warn you, though; I'm not very good at it," I add in a lower tone for Robert's ears alone.

He grins. "Well, you aren't a Lyon so..."

Michael comes toward us and sits down beside Robert. Robert just manages to duck out of the way as I reach out to get him for his sly comment. Michael begins to make a wall of sand around the hole.

"Oh, no, more of you men folk keep joining in," I say sarcastically when Andy drops down beside me and starts to help Michael.

Michael laughs, "You should be used to it by now. That's how it is at the Lyon house."

"Your poor mother," I say sincerely.

"Not really," Robert says. "She gets to see the best sand castles remember?"

"Well, I have yet to see one." I tease. "I think it might all be a big conspiracy." I grin before all three of them throw sand at me and I throw up my arms to cover my face.