12

"This looks like the perfect spot." I say, as I throw the umbrella and my beach towel down. I kick off my flip-flops and wiggle my toes into the sand. So warm already.

"Hey! Don't completely ruin the equipment," Michael says sarcastically, picking up the umbrella, and opening it. He sticks the post into the sand to make shade for the orange beach chair Andy just set up.

I make a silly face in Michael's direction which he laughs at. Then grab up my towel, shake out the sand and drape it over the back of the chair. In turn, Michael spreads his towel out onto the sand, "Gotta be ready for my sun tan later," he says with a wink. I have a feeling Michael has never laid down for a sun tan before in his life.

"Good. We finally made it–" Ann cuts off, her cheeks going red as she realizes she spoke out loud and everyone is now staring at her.

"Yea.... Anyway..." I say into the awkward silence. I pull the big T-shirt off over my head and slip it underneath my towel on the back of the chair. I see Michael watching me carefully out of the corner of my eye. I hope the tankini is living up to its promise.

Andy pulls off his shirt and folds it. My brother is so strange. He seems like the most carefree, playful soul, and yet, he is probably one of the tidiest and cleanest people I know.

"Will they be able to find our spot?" I ask, turning away from our group to glance down the beach.

It's much fuller since this morning –when Michael and I woke up on it. I hope no one sees me blush. People are sun tanning, setting up for the day, playing volleyball, throwing a Frisbee around, and building sand castles. Every activity has four or five people involved. There are sail boats in the distance, and sea-dos zooming over waves that lap the shore and leave wavy marks in the sand. Kids, adults, teenagers, tons of people are swimming, diving through waves, and swimming around in the water. Others walk down the beach, holding their shoes in their hands as the water crashes at their feet.

"There. They're coming, already," Robert says, and points to my left. I turn my head to follow his finger, and see our parents on the way. Alice and my mother, carrying another chair, a bigger umbrella, towels for both of them...–the list goes on. Marc and my father are taking up the rear, my father wearing the most unfortunate hat –really, people shouldn't wear them in public, no matter how sunny it is. I wave my arms in the air and Marc smiles at me and waves back.

Iturn back to the others, and grin. "Last one in has to wash the dishes,tonight!" I yell, already speeding down to the lake through the sand, before splashing water everywhere as I run into it. 

Tell me what you thought of this chapter in the comments. If you've enjoyed what you've read so far, please vote! Thank you :)