Ch. 21 Cake

After what happened with Justin, I didn't feel like myself anymore. Anytime anyone touched me, I would always flinch. Colby was the only one I felt safe around, and he would be the only person I would let hold me without me feeling discomfort.

Justin acted like nothing happened, but the only change was that he would not be nice to me anymore. He would hurt me so much, not caring if it was with a group of friends or around other people.

But when I said that I didn't feel like myself anymore, I ment that everytime I was beaten up, I wouldn't try to fight it anymore. I would just let it happen, cause I didn't feel like there was any reason to fight.

The only time that year I felt a little happy was on my birthday.

I forgot it was my birthday because I was distracted by the bullying. All the hurting words and the physical abuse pretty much pushed away the thoughts of my birthday from my mind.

When I was in history class, the teacher put on a boring movie for us to watch, and he eventually fell asleep. I sat at the back on a long table that was connected to the back of the wall, so I could be somewhat away from people.

I was currently texting Colby about what we were doing and how boring this class was.

As I was about to fall asleep, I hear the door creek open and I opened my eyes seeing Colby enter the room.

"What are you doing?" I mouthed to him.

He just grinned and started heading over to me.

He came over and lifted himself up so he could sit on the table I was on.

"What are you doing?" I asked again, scooting over a little so he could have some space next to me.

"I brought a cake for you." He said.

I then noticed that he had his hands behind his back. He took a big cupcake out from behind him and put it in between us.

"Why did you get me a cake?" I asked still confused.

He gave me a suprised look. "Cause it's your birthday."

"What? My birthday?" It's not my birthday, is it? I took my phone out and checked the date seeing that it was my birthday.

"You didn't know?" Colby said still not believing it.

"I guess not." I said quietly,  looking down.

"Hey I totally understand. It's okay."

I didn't look up.

"Cake?" He brought the cake in front of my face.

"I can't finish that by myself." I said, looking up at him.

"Don't worry, I'll help you."

"I thought you hated cake."

"Well yeah I do, but I'll obviously help you out if you can't finish it."

"Okay." So he got out two forks from his backpack and we started eating the big cupcake.

It was funny seeing Colby's disgusted face while eating it, but when we finally finished, he looked relieved.

"That was actually really good. Did you like it?" I asked him, already knowing his answer.

"Did it look like I liked it?"

I just laughed.

He then pulled me onto his lap. I gave him a confused look, before he started massaging my shoulders. Oh it felt good.

Sadie......Sadie.......Sadie wake up. "Sadie."

I opened my eyes and turned my head seeing Colby staring at me. I must have fallen asleep.

"I have to go back to class. There's like five minutes left."

"Um okay." I slid off of him and he jumped off the table. He then leaned over and hugged me, whispering, "Again, happy birthday love. Do your best to stay positive, and I'll see you after class."

I nodded into his shoulder before he let go and slipped back out of class, making sure not to wake up the teacher.

.........................................................

After that day, the rest of the year was crap.

I was really anti-social, I legit felt like a ghost, and my grades were dropping. I had to have Jendell do some of my school work and stuff cause I felt so out of it. If that didn't happen, I would have to retake the classes next year and I would be behind.

When school finally ended and summer began, you did not know how thrilled I was to get out of that hell that we call school.