Ch. 9 Liar

Today was Wednesday and I had just received my Chem quiz that I aced. For some reason Colby wasn't in class even though I spotted him with Sam this morning, but I wanted to stay in a good mood, so I just pushed it aside.

I was heading to my history class when I spotted Jendell and Colby enter the nurse's office. Being the curious self I am, I followed them. When I got there, I saw Colby with an ice pack to his eye, and he looked beat up. Jendell was there talking to the nurse.

Colby saw me come in and he immediately turned his head, trying to hide his face.

I came closer to him. "What happened?"

He didn't answer, he just kept his face away from me.

"Colby please look at me."

He finally faced me and I could see all these bruises on his face and a busted lip.

I took a sharp breath. "C..can I see your eye?"

He hesitated before slowly removing the pack from his eye.

What I saw horrified me. His eye was swollen shut with purple bruisings around it. I didn't even think he could see through that eye because of how swollen it was.

"W....what happened?"

"Nothing," he whispered.

"Something obviously happened Colby. Don't tell me that."

Just then, Jendell walks in.

"Do you know what happened to him?" I decided to ask her hoping she knew.

"Sorry I don't know. I found him like this when I was getting books for my class. He just kept telling me that nothing happened when clearly something did."

We looked down at Colby, who had his ice pack back on his eye.

"Colby.....was it my fault?" I asked quietly.

He looked at me for a second, but didn't say anything before he put his head back down.

"Maybe you should leave." Jendell told me.

"Wait why?" I asked shocked.

"You guys haven't been in good terms lately, and no offense but I don't think he wants you here."

"Seriously?" I asked coldly.

She nodded before sitting down next to Colby. I was waiting for Colby to oppose, but he didn't even look up. I just left cause I had nothing to say.

I went to my 2 other classes. I was supposed to have one with Jendell, but she didn't come.

Lunch finally came and I went to the cafeteria alone. When I got my lunch, I went and sat with Justin and his friends. As I sat Bastien immediately asked, "Where's Jendell? I didn't see her in my PE class."

"I think she's at the nurse's office." 

"What, why?! Did something happen? Is she okay?" Bastien blurted.

"Bastien don't worry, she's fine. She's just with Colby."

"Why is she with Colby?" He sounded nervous.

"Well apparently, someone beat him up pretty badly and she happened to see him like that, so she took him to the nurse." I replied quietly.

I felt like everybody at the table went quiet and I looked at everyone then at Justin and to his hands in confusion. I could clearly see his bruised knuckle.

I gasped.

"Sadie, it's not what it looks like."

"Then what happened?" I questioned, giving him a skeptical look.