Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Ariana's POV

"Alyssa! Alyssa!" I yelled into the phone, hoping my best friend was still awake at this late hour. 

"What?" She groaned.

"Come over right now!" I yelled in between sobs.

"I can't... I was asleep you know." She said lazily.

"It can't wait!" I yelled.

"What's going on?"

"He's dead!" I yelled.

"What? Who?!" She asked, obviously confused.

"My dad!" I said.

"I'm on my way." She hung up.

So let me give you a little background:

My mother died when I was about 7 years old from a car accident. After that, my father started drinking and smoking and doing drugs. 11 years later here I am, 18 years old. I've always been a single child, so it's been hard. The only person that's ever been there for me is my best friend, Alyssa. My dad has been in rehab for almost three months now. At least, that's what he told me.

"Ariana?" Alyssa's voice called through the apartment in New York City.
"In my room!" I yelled and she ran through my door, dressed in sweatpants and an oversized sweatshirt, with her hair up in a messy bun. She was wearing her glasses because she probably didn't have time to put in contacts. Nonetheless, she was still gorgeous.

"Okay, what do you mean he's dead?!" Alyssa asked.

"I- I don't know. I got a call from some random people. They said they found him lifeless on the sidewalk, and grabbed his phone, calling the first contact. He'd been lying to me, Alyssa! I just got off of the phone with the rehab center... there's no record whatsoever of a Robert Mortin." I said.

"Aww, Ariana. You'll be okay," She said.

"No I won't! Where am I gonna go? What am I gonna do?" I asked.

"Come live with me." She said.

"Thanks Alyssa. But I need to find some family. Blood related family." I said.

"Good thing we have my mom! I don't really know what she does to be honest, but she can help you." Alyssa said.

"Okay, thanks. Can you call her?" I asked.

"Ariana it's 1:00am." Alyssa said.

"And my father just died." I said.

"Fine, I'll try." She sighed, pulling out her phone.

Her mom got to my apartment 20 minutes later. 

"Thank you so much for coming Margaret." I said, hugging Alyssa's mom. We had been best friends since about the time my mom died, so I've just always called her parents by their first names.

"No problem. I did some research on my way here." She said, pulling out her laptop.

"And?" I asked, eyes wide, but still very puffy.

"And you have an Uncle... Paul Higgins?" She asked.

"It rings a bell. Haven't seen him since around the time my mom died though considering they were siblings." I said.

"He lives in England." She said.

"England?" I asked.

"That's so cool!" Alyssa said, trying to lighten the mood.

"Honey you're missing the point." Margaret said.

"What?" Alyssa asked, confused.

"Ariana legally has to be with a guardian of her own family if one is present." Margaret said.

"So?" Alyssa asked.

"Ariana has to move to England." Margaret said and Alyssa's mouth just hung open.

"Alex?" I asked into my phone after Alyssa and her mom had left. 

"Hey baby, what's up?" he asked. Alex is my boyfriend, and let me just tell you, our relationship was complicated. 

"My dad just died." I said. 

"Aww, baby I'm sorry." He said.

"Alex, you do realize I am now alone in life and everyone is dead and your response is sorry?" I asked.

"Ariana it's like 2:00am. Go back to sleep." He said.

"I can't believe you," I said and hung up. So here's the story on Alex and I...

We met at a bar about six months ago, and he immediately asked me to be his girlfriend. He was all nice and caring and sweet at first, but then everything changed. He changed. There were only some days where he was really nice to me. The others, he would spit out rude comments. But a part of me didn't want to let him go, because I would miss all of the good times. I also feared what would happen if we called it quits. I knew what he was capable of, and what he could do to me.

I tried to go back to sleep, but miserably failed. I opened my laptop and booked the first flight to England. It left at 4:00am so I booked the second one because that was too soon. I got up and packed my bags, ready to leave at 9:30am for my plane. I texted Alyssa, telling her I was leaving. She said her mom had already contacted Paul, knowing I would've made this decision already. Alyssa and her mom and Alex were all meeting me at the airport to say goodbye.

I got out of the taxi, saying goodbye to New York City. I tipped the cab driver, and he sped off quickly. I walked inside, checked some of my bags, and walked away with my ticket in hand. I didn't even care what I looked like. I had major bags under my eyes from the lack of sleep, and I was wearing what Alyssa was when she came in my apartment earlier. I was walking up to security when I heard my name.

"Ariana!" I heard Alex's voice call, and I whirled around.

"Hey," I say, giving him a huge hug.

"I'm gonna miss you, you know." He said.

"Yeah well I'll come to visit. And you can visit me in England to." I said.

"Good." He said, kissing my cheek.

"Ariana!" Alyssa called from behind Alex. She ran up to me, and lifted me in the air, giving me a huge hug. Much better then my boyfriend had. 

"I'll miss you Alyssa." I said.

"I'll miss you more. When can I visit?!" she asked.

"It's never too soon!" I yelled.

"Good. I'll come up as soon as you want me to. You should take some time to settle in first though." She said.

"Yeah. I'll see you guys soon, then?" I asked, hugging Margaret.

"Of course. We'll miss you darling." She said.

"Thank you so much... for everything Margaret it means a lot." I said.

"No problem. Now, go, you can't miss this flight!" she said, shooing me off.

"Bye! I love you guys!" I yelled, and put my stuff on the security belt. A few minutes later, I was sitting in my seat, 21B, next to a fat old man who looked like he was a drug dealer. This was going to be the longest flight of my life.

(hey guys thank you so so so much for reading it means the world. please tell your friends about this story, and keep reading. i love you! xx)