The One With The First Day Of Sophomore Year

Start from the beginning

Emily glanced between the two front seats and looked through the window, but all she could see was the dark blue water rushing towards the car at incredible speed. As soon as the car hit the water, Emily's head bounced off the back of her mother's seat. She felt the pain in her nose, but she ignored it. Instead, Emily quickly glanced over to her sister, and saw that Elena was knocked out from the impact. But Emily's eyes suddenly widened as she felt the freezing cold water reach the inside of her boots. She looked up at her father with tears in her green eyes as she cried out, "dad-"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emily gasped as she quickly jolted up from her soft pillows before she looked around her surroundings carefully. When Emily saw that she was in her bedroom, wrapped in her snug covers, and not at Wickery Bridge, closed in by water, she took a deep breath of relief. Ever since the accident, Emily's unconscious mind would always replay the night that took away her parents.

Emily lazily got out of her comfortable bed and made her way towards her large closet, where she grabbed a pair of black jeans along with a matching black shirt. Emily knew it was going to be a long day, since the Gilbert siblings would be back in school for the first time since the accident. Everyone was dealing with the lost differently. Emily's younger brother, Jeremy, had turned to drugs and alcohol to cope. Emily's twin sister, Elena, was more quiet and reserved. Then there was Emily, who was almost identical to her sister, but she was also more protective over her family.

Emily grabbed her light pink leather jacket that was hanging on the back of her closet door, before she made her way to the mirror that was attached to her white vanity table. She began to put on her jewelry, which consisted of a pearl ring and matching earrings with a gold moon necklace. Once Emily made sure that her outfit was perfect, she closed her eyes as she took a deep breath. She knew that today was going to be filled with people asking if she was okay. Emily wasn't going to tell the whole truth, because in reality, she wasn't okay. But she didn't want to seem weak and Emily had to stay strong for her siblings, so she would say that she was fine. Emily looked back into the mirror where she fixed a believable smile on her face, before she got up and made her way towards the door. She quickly slipped on her black boots and grabbed her matching purse, before she headed out for the long day.

As Emily was making her way down the stairs, she could hear a commotion coming from the kitchen. It peaked her interest, so Emily made her way towards the disturbance of the usual quiet house. Once she walked into the room, she saw her aunt Jenna mumbling to herself while she looked through the refrigerator.

Jenna glanced behind her when she heard footsteps and stated, "toast," she closed the refrigerator door and turned towards her oldest niece, "I can make toast."

Emily chuckled lowly at her aunt before she quickly made a beeline towards the source of her happiness, the coffee machine. Emily reached above her and pulled out a coffee cup from the wooden cabinet. She slowly poured the fresh, hot coffee before adding a small teaspoon of milk and sugar. Once she was happy with her mocha colored concoction, Emily turned around to look at her frantic aunt with a smirk as she stated, "it's all about the coffee," before taking a large sip of the heavenly mixture.

"Is there coffee?" Jeremy questioned once he walked into the kitchen with bright eyes as he heard the magical word leave his sister's mouth.

Emily didn't even get the chance to answer her brother, before Jeremy stole her coffee right from her hands. Emily rolled her eyes as she huffed in annoyance, "seriously, Jer?" But Jeremy only gave Emily a mischievous smile before happily walking away with now, his coffee.

It was way too early to argue with her brother, so Emily made her way back to the coffee machine and grabbed another coffee cup from the cabinet. But Emily paused as she thought for a moment, before grabbing one more cup. She didn't want to take the chance of getting her coffee stolen by another sibling. Emily picked up the coffee pot and poured the hot liquid into both cups before mixing them just right. Ironically, she and Elena were identical when it came to how they liked their coffee.