37 » mulberry

He stood outside the door, staring at the view inside. The room was filled; he could barely make out faces in the hustle. Looking down at the phone in his hands, he dialled a number he'd learnt by heart for some reason. He found himself mumbling it at random moments, like a mantra.

"Hello?"

Every damn time, that voice made his heart beat a bit faster. He knew why, of course he did, but acknowledging it wasn't as easy as that.

"Is this Domino's?" With that question, he stepped in through he door, his eyes scanning the place for a girl on the phone.

"What? Brendan, it's Hayley."

"Is this Domino's?" He repeated again.

"You're crack."

"Just play along, will you?"

"Ugh. Fine. No, it's not."

He smirked at her agitation. His little fireball, ever so stubborn. He was still looking around the room, searching for his Hayles. He found one girl, platinum blonde hair, giggling at her phone. That definitely wasn't Hayley. She was far from giggling right now.

"Are you sure?" He asked again. His eyes landed on a brunette, sitting by the corner, holding her phone to her ear and looking out the window glumly. Now, that could've been her, but something in his heart told him to keep looking.

"Yes. I think you've got the wrong number."

His eyes finally swept to the end of the room, and zeroed in on who he was sure was Hayley. Even though the blonde's back was turned towards him, the way she was lazily swirling her finger on the table top, or the way she sat, fidgeting in her seat, as if anxiously waiting for someone: everything told him that this was his girl.

"On the contrary," he said, walking over to her table. "For once I think I've got the right one."

Hayley turned around suddenly, her hand going to her chest as she stared at him in shock. He'd snuck up on her, especially with him whispering his last sentence almost in her ear, and when their eyes met - her cerulean blue meeting his chocolate brown - he was a goner.

"I should've known you'd pull something like that," she told him, staring at the man standing in front of her with narrowed eyes. Hayley was confident that she remembered what Brendan looked like almost accurately, but boy was she wrong. Standing in front of her, he looked surreal, his brown hair curling on top of his head, his mocha brown eyes staring into hers like he'd found everything he was looking for. This made her heart skip a few beats.

"I guess you should have," he said, breaking them both out of their not-so-subtle staring.

He took a seat opposite her, his feet almost brushing her own in the small booth, and she tensed up in her seat. The air around them was suddenly stifling - static even.

They just looked at each other for a while after that, both of them soaking the sight of one another in. Of course, each of them realised that they were very blatantly staring, but they found themselves unable to look away.

"So, you finally got to see me," Hayley told Brendan after a few moments.

"I finally did." He replied. "And damn am I not disappointed."