Chapter thirty: In Each of Our Hearts

Cole's POV

My heart practicality skipped a beat.

A part of the Yang Blade was deeply inside Zira's head, as red blood trailed down her face.

Unlike her, ghouls were suppose to have a different color blood. But hers was red, like HUMAN blood. Well, my dad she was turned into a ghoul, but still though.

I felt some of the blood dripping down onto my face. She began to choke out cries. She held onto me even tighter. I didn't know what to do.

Was she dying? She had to be.

I waited a bit longer to see what would happen. Her eyes were filled with fear, and confusion. I yank the blade out of her head and she got on her knees.

More blood began to drip on the floor. I started shaking and my scar began to glow. The Yang Blade began to glow as well.

A moment later Zira began to steam up as the dent in her head glowed a deep gold. I didn't know if my eyes were playing tricks on me, but it seems she was slowly outgrowing the dress. It became a little to big on her.

Her dark skin began to crack and peel off. Her claws were no longer claws. Her long black tail began to disappear.

That's it.

I killed her.

I won.

But why don't I feel happy about it?

When most of the steam cleared, I gasped. I couldn't believe my eyes. I looked down and saw what was in front of me.

The person I was looking at was no longer a tall, ugly, evil Queen of Ghouls, but a short, fairly young woman. It wasn't Zira.

Or was it?

I got on my knees and stared at her in shock.

Her peachy skin was smooth. She had normal hands with black nail polish on each. She had curly, dark brown hair that went down to the middle part of her back. She still had a mole on her cheek. She had grey diamond ear rings. Her purple eyes were the same but they were white instead of black. She even had glittery purple lipstick on her lips.

This was ZIRA, in her HUMAN form, what she really looks like.

I'll have to admit, she looks kinda pretty for someone around Dad's age.

Wait, does that mean I broke the spell? Was the blade THAT powerful?

I inched a bit closer to her to see if she was alive. I put my hand on her shoulder. Then suddenly she crashes into me. Her head rested on my shoulder. For some reason she smells like lavender.

I heard her breathing into my ear. I was feeling a bit weird at the moment, but then I relaxed.

"Thank you..." Zira whispered.

Her voice was different too. It wasn't as deep as it was before. I slowly dropped the Yang Blade. I even began to have this strange feeling inside of me.

Zira lifted her head and we looked into each other's eyes. Tears were streaming down her face as the dent on her head continued to bleed.

"I just....wanted...to see him...one last time....I just wanted...to be...happy...."

I uttered a gasp. I knew what she meant but what? I gripped on to her shoulders with widened eyes.

Suddenly, she closed her eyes and collapsed into me again. But this time she wasn't breathing.

In fact..she wasn't even moving.

I looked at her and saw her expressionless face. I checked for a pulse...nothing, not even a heartbeat.