Chapter fourteen: The Story of Zira

Cole's POV

What have I done?

I don't know what's going on with me. First the restaurant, then the door, and now it's everything. I had no control.

I watched the thing that was in my body hurt my friends. What was worse, I couldn't look away. I wanted to cry.

But no, I have to remember, crying makes me weak.

We were all in the Bounty recovering from what happened earlier. Dad made a fire on the furnace. I was wrapped in a blanket with an ice bag on my head. No one said a word for awhile. I don't blame them, even I was traumatized. Lloyd was rubbing my back to comfort me.

Misako came out with 10 cups of honey - lemon tea, one for each of us. Master Wu walked over to the middle of the room then cleared his throat.

"It's time I'd tell you the tale of the ghouls," Wu said.

"Uh-yeah, question, what is a ghoul exactly?" Jay asked.

"Hmm," Master Wu poured some tea into fire, which revealed a flashback.

"A long time ago, before Ninjago was created, there were these creatures that ruled the lands. And that creature, was the ghoul. A ghoul is a mortal ghost, an evil spirit, phantoms that were
morbidly interested in causing  death or disaster. Their skin was like armour, speed faster than lightning, strength of over 100 Stone Army. They were indestructible, unbeatable and would kill for sport."

"Sport?" Jay gulped, "Good thing I don't know what that means-heheh....heh.."

"It means killing someone or something just for fun, no typical reason," Zane replied.

Wu nodded, "After seeing what they could do, my father had to put an end to them. So before everything was created, he sent them to a realm of darkness, creating the Shadow Realm. They were the ones that evolved the Serpentine Wars."

"We stole their realm?" Lloyd asked, "No wonder they want revenge."

"Yeah, but why on Cole?" Nya walked next to Lloyd then puts her hands on my shoulders, "He hasn't done anything to them...did you?"

I shook my head, "So that thing controlling me was a ghoul? But I don't understand! How did he get in me. Master Yang told me that I had the power of the Yin blade inside me!"

"Yes," Dad said, "You do. You have the power to create a rift to the Departed Realm. But as for the rest, the blade has nothing to do with them."

I sighed. Master Yang was wrong. We'll he did say it was beyond his reasoning, but not to my Dad? Something's up.

"This is horrible!" Jay cried, "Cole's possessed by a ghoul! How do you get him out?"

"It doesn't work that way," Master Wu explained, "Even though ghouls and ghosts are in the same family, they have different techniques. Ghouls are mortal, ghosts aren't. If you're possessed by a ghost, you can easily spray them with water, but possessed by a ghoul...I'm afraid there's nothing we can do."

"What?!" I cried. Everyone else gasped.

"What do mean there's nothing we can do?" Jay asked, "We can't just leave Cole here to suffer. Have you seen what that thing can do?"

"I'm sorry," Wu said, "But only a dark magic beyond my reasoning can deal with it. That amulet is the only thing that can prevent it to take control again. But as for other ghouls, just use the Sacred water."

I was confused, "Wait...if sacred water can stop a ghoul from possessing someone, why can't I?"

"Because you have an Alpha ghoul," Dad answered.