Chapter four: The Third Wheel

Cole's POV

What's his deal?

I stared at Jay until I could no longer see him. I got up to put the teacup away then went back outside. It wasn't as cold as before.

Lloyd and Zane were playing checkers outside and Kai was fighting the dummies on deck. I noticed a few bandages on his head and shoulders. I must've hurt him pretty good.

I walked over then sat across Lloyd and Zane. I watched them play until Lloyd lost.

"Checkmate," Zane replied, "10 to 0."

"Can I play?" I shyly asked.

"Be me guest," Zane said, "Unless you want to lose."

"Are you sure you can handle it?" Lloyd asked, "We just want to make sure you won't go insane when you keep losing."

"If I am gonna lose," I replied, "But yeah, I'm pretty sure that I can handle it."

I sat across Zane as he set up the board. I decided to join because I was thinking that it can calm me down, besides going to lunch with Nya and Jay.

Jay scared me a little. Since when did he become so serious and tough? That's mostly Kai's thing.

I just hope that he doesn't bother me during lunch.

*******
Nya's POV

Five more minutes until we go out to lunch.

I'm so excited. I'm kinda bummed that it couldn't be a date with Jay, but on the bright side, Cole's coming along. My boyfriend and my best friend, getting along.

I'm so relived that Cole's attitude changed. He's more calm and happy than he was before, even though he pushed my brother down the stairs.

I walked into the guy's bedroom where Kai was laying down. When he saw me come in he smiled.

"Hey sis," Kai replied.

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Better, " Kai said, "I just wanna kick Cole's butt. I just wanted to talk to him, but then he gets up in my freakin face!"

"I know, I know," I said calmly, "But don't hurt him back. Violence won't solve it. Plus, it'll make him angry, and we don't want that because he has his RX powers."

"Yeah yeah," Kai rubbed his head, "But still."

I rolled my eyes. My brother has always had a problem of letting things go. And now that we know what happened to our parents, it's like it's gotten worse.

Suddenly, there was a light tap on the door. When it opened, it was Jay. He smiled sweetly at me.

"Hey, Nya," Jay replied, "Ready to go?"

"Yep," I answered, "Is Cole ready too?"

"Yeah, he's playing checkers with Zane. Surprisingly, Cole's winning."

"Wait," Kai sat up, "You two are bringing Cole along? Why?"

"Because Misako told us to," I said, "She thinks it'll help him calm down. And we can talk about his problems."

"What problems? Cole never has issues. Although, when you think about it...."

"That's not the point," I protested, "Last night when we were talking to him, he said the reason why he was so irritated was because he thinks he doesn't belong here."

"That's what he said?" Kai rolled his eyes, "Well then I think he's right. He doesn't belong here."

"Stop it Kai!" Jay snapped, "Of course he does, yet we still don't know why he says he doesn't. Cole is our friend, our teammate, our brother. We'll not stop until we figure all of this out. And going out to lunch is the perfect place to."