26 | Apologize

Peter sits in his cell at Eichen House, wolfsbane flowing through his veins. Every day since he was brought there, all he does is either stare at the ground or scream and pound on the glass. Sometimes he thinks of what went wrong, cursing Scott McCall and his pack of good-doers. But, more often than not, he thinks of Lexi.

Whenever his last remaining family member pops into his head, he starts to think clearly, if only for a second. He knows he betrayed her. He knows that she probably hates him, but he can't help but entertain the idea that maybe she'll forgive him. Maybe she'll come and visit.

As each day passes, his hope dwindles down to nothing. Finally, he gives up on anyone seeing him, especially since there is no one left that actually cares.

"Hale!" An orderly yells, snapping him out of his trance. "Visitor." Peter frowns, standing cautiously. He watches as the orderly nods towards his visitor before disappearing.

A blonde woman walks into view, stopping in front of his cell. "Lexi." He breathes.

Lexi says nothing as she stares at him with her big, blue eyes. He squirms uncomfortably under her gaze, waiting for her to speak.

Finally, he cracks. "She promised she wouldn't hurt you." He tells her quietly, glancing up at her. "It was part of the deal."

"Kate is not why I'm here," she says, letting them fall into silence again. After a complete minute, Peter finds the courage to look back at his sister. "I thought you would at least try to explain yourself." Lexi states, her expression unchanging.

"Explain myself?" He repeats.

"You do understand why you're in here, right?" Lexi questions. "You tried to get Scott killed."

At that, he realizes that she wants an apology. Anger rises in him as he glares at her through the glass wall of his cell. "Because he should be dead." He spits. "He is a teenage boy who has no idea what this world is. I don't regret it, Lexi."

"Scott is in my pack." Lexi reminds him calmly. "You attack him, you attack me."

"And am I not part of your pack?" He snaps, enjoying the way she flinches back ever so slightly.

"You went after him, alright?" she says, anger seeping into her tone. "My pack, my responsibility. It's hard to defend you when you don't learn, Peter." He scoffs, turning away.

"I did what I did for my family. I thought you, out of everyone else, would understand!"

"I thought I was getting to you." Lexi laughs humorlessly. "I thought you were learning from your mistakes—"

"Mistakes? Killing is a mistake to you?" Peter asks incredulously. "To you?"

"Yes, Peter. It is." Lexi rolls her eyes. "Scott doesn't like it. I have never liked it. Derek hates it—"

"Of course you listen to everything he says." Peter spits with enough malice to make her recoil. "He uses you all the time, and you don't even realize—"

"Uses me?" Lexi scoffs. "You want to talk about manipulation? I have a few things I could say about you!"

"Same here!" He turns away from her, holding the bridge of his nose in anger, trying to calm himself down.

"I can't believe you. This, all of this... It hurt me." He looks back, seeing the betrayal and hurt in her eyes. "You hurt me, Pete."

"Lexi—"

"No, now it's your turn to listen," she states, going closer to the glass. "I have given up so much for you." She clenches her jaw, trying to avoid cracks in her voice. "And this is how you repay me? I thought I was your sister, Peter. You said so yourself, so why the bloody hell would you hurt me like Niklaus?"

"I am not Klaus," Peter growls.

"Yeah?" She raises her eyebrows slightly. "Well, you sure as hell act like him."

Peter slams his hand against the glass, but Lexi doesn't flinch back. "I am nothing like Klaus!" He yells.

"Then apologize." Lexi shrugs, backing away.

"You want me to apologize for something I am proud to have done?" He questions, chuckling humorlessly. "That would make me no better than Kate."

Lexi looks down, licking her lips. When she looks back up, her angry expression dissipates into a blank one. "Derek and I are leaving Beacon Hills." She tells him. "That was your chance to make things right, Peter."

His eyes widen, his fear of being left alone in Eichen becoming apparent in his expression. "You're just going to leave me here?"

"Derek said not to even try." She bites her lip. "He was right, because, today, all I learned was that you haven't changed. You are still the monster who killed his niece."

His shocked expression quickly turns to one of rage. "You think I'm the monster?!" He shouts banging on the glass. "I'm not the only one of my kind. At least I can have a pack. What can you have? Nothing!"

Lexi stays silent as she turns on her heel and begins walking away silently. "You are alone, Lexi! You'll never find someone to spend your miserable life with!" He calls after her. "Derek's gonna leave you at some point, and then you'll be alone. The forgotten sister, the monstrous creature, the needy girl; That's you, Lexi!" She turns the corner, disappearing from sight. "You wanted a monster, Lexi?! Well, here I am!"

THE END!! The next book will be out soon! I have so much planned for Lexi and Derek's life. Especially now that some familiar, familial faces will come back :)

I also want to say that even though I have been writing, this next book will not have as consistant updates as the past few books did. I've hit a wall and am trying to break it down but nada. I have about half the book down, and a few chapters of the next one done. I will ask you a question in the next book relating to the storyline about whether I should include something or not, so be sure to look out for it. 

Hope you enjoyed!