25 | Evolving

"Liam's getting worked up." Lexi turns back, looking out the back window. "I should've gone with them."

"No, he has to learn." Peter reminds her. "Derek's capable. He'll be ok." She looks down, playing with her fingers. The moment Peter catches sight of this, he gets concerned. "What's wrong?"

"I can't lose him." Her voice comes out cracked. She leans back against the seat, closing her eyes in an attempt to stop the approaching tears. "Not again."

"You won't," Peter whispers, glancing at her.

"I-I don't know what I would do." She turns to face him, and he can see how distraught she really is. "I have lost too many people, Pete. I can't lose him too." She pauses before sighing. "Or you."

He smirks, looking back at her. "So you do care."

"Just because I care doesn't mean you are forgiven." She teases, a smile breaking onto her face. "Cause you are not. Not by a long shot, Mr. Satan in a V-neck."

"Oh, please tell me you aren't calling me that too." Peter groans playfully.

"What? I have nicknames for everyone." Lexi shrugs.

"Like what?"

Lexi picks up her name and starts to count. "Scott is Mr. Self-Riotous." Peter chuckles softly. "Or Dumbass. Stiles is Dumber. Kira is..." Lexi hums, trying to think of something.

"You don't have one for her, do you? Peter chuckles.

"Shut up." Lexi snaps before saying, "Kira is Lightning Lady. Lydia will be Ear-Piercing Queen."

"Liam?" Peter questions, trying to keep her happy.

"I would say, Mr. Self-Riotous' bitch. Or Little Beta Blue." She laughs. "You are Pete, of course. Or my little devil." She ruffles his hair like she used to do when he was little.

"Hey—!" He shrugs off her hand, laughing at her childishness. "What about Derek?"

Suddenly, her laughs cease, replaced by a comfortable quiet. "My hope," she whispers, a small smile creeping onto her lips.

"You love him that much, huh?" Peter asks quietly.

"I do." She looks back at Peter. "You knew it all along."

"Of course I did." He scoffs. "I know you. You're my sister, Lex. You are my family." He tells her honestly. "And I would do anything I can to protect you."

"You're my family too, my little devil." She grins.

"Oh, god. Not that name!" He complains as Lexi giggles.

The car comes to a stop and they both quiet down, looking at the church. Peter looks over at Lexi guiltily. "Lexi, before we go in there, I need you to know that whatever happens... Whatever I do is for my family, ok?"

"Of course." Lexi nods quietly. She looks out the window to see a berserker pulling Derek out of the transport van. Her eyes widen as she almost rips the door off its hinges and runs out. "Derek!" She screams as the berserker starts to punch him repeatedly against a wall of rocks. The scent of blood reaches her, and she instantly knows that it's Derek's. With a battle cry, she shoves her hands forward, a very small burst of magic pushing the berserker away.

She reaches Derek as the berserker comes back for more. Her eyes glow red, and she roars. The berserker stops in its tracks before running the other way.

Derek flops to the ground, holding a wound on his stomach. Lexi instantly kneels next to him, accessing the wound with her eyes. She looks back at Peter, and he knows that she is breaking down on the inside: her worst fear is coming true before her eyes. "How bad is it?" Peter asks after a moment of silence.