21 | Not Dying

Lexi and Derek lie awake in bed, both refusing to speak first. "I know you're awake." Lexi finally breaks, turning over in Derek's hold.

"Just thinking," he responds, sighing. "You?"

"When we got home, I was just curious about something. I looked up what happened with the lists." She admits, snuggling closer into his chest. "The ones that had the supernaturals are gone."

Something about her specificity puts Derek on edge. "But?"

"But the ones with my name are still active," she whispers. That makes Derek tense under her hold.

"So you were right," he states. "Someone really wants to find you."

"And I have no idea who." Lexi sighs.

Suddenly, the alarm goes off. Both of them freeze before slowly getting up. Lexi, clad in only her bra and underwear, flicks out her claws as Derek, walking with only boxers, grabs his gun.

Lexi goes towards the window, looking for a shadow in the darkness or a sign of forced entry as Derek points his gun towards the rafters. After finding nothing, they both edge towards the door. Lexi spots feet behind it and motions to Derek.

Derek positions himself in front of the entrance while Lexi goes to the side, hand hovering over the handle. Derek nods hesitantly before Lexi throws the door open. Derek raises his gun while Lexi holds out her hand defensively. Who they see causes them to falter.

Lydia lets out an ear piercing scream. 

Lexi covers her ears and grimaces in pain as the banshee finishes. When Lydia closes her mouth, she stumbles back, losing consciousness for a moment. Derek catches her before she closes her eyes completely and helps her stand.

"What... Why am I here?" She whispers fearfully, looking at Derek. Derek glances down before looking back at Lexi.

Lexi's eyes well up with tears as she coughs to rid herself of her closed up throat. "Go home, Lydia." She tells the girl, her voice not going above a whisper in fear of it cracking.

Lydia's eyes widen in understanding before she leaves with a muttered apology. Derek closes the door softly before turning back to Lexi fully. He can see that tears have already started to fall from her eyes. She doesn't even bother to hide them or her sobs as he embraces her tightly.

"No," she sobs, her fingers clawing at some part of him to grab onto. "No! She's wrong! You're not going to— You can't—"

Derek does nothing but smooth down her hair and whisper sweet nothings into her ear, knowing that it could be the last time he would be able to do it.

—|—|—|—

"Ok." Derek slides the money back towards Scott.

"Don't you want to know why it took so long to return it?" Scott asks nervously, not getting why Derek is so nonchalant about getting half a million dollars back.

"How much do you make at the animal clinic?" Derek questions.

"Minimum wage," Scott answers, still confused.

"That's why. Everyone can be tempted, Scott. Even a True Alpha."

"You're not angry?" Scott asks, wide-eyed.

"It's not even mine. It belongs to Peter." Derek shrugs.

"Where's your money?" Scott questions.

"You're standing on it," Derek tells him.

Puzzled, Scott looks down before he realizes something. "There's another vault?" He breathes in amazement.

"No, dumbass," A voice says. The boys turn to the staircase to see Lexi descending it in only a tank top and shorts. "He owns the building. And he has his own bank accounts. I'm not in love with an idiot."

"All the money from the vault was Peter's," Derek adds, smirking at her last statement.

"We'd be better off if the rest was never found," Lexi tells Scott suggestively. She zips up the bag as Derek stands to question Scott's worried look.

"I know Lydia was here last night," he admits, causing Lexi to freeze. "Deaton's still working on figuring out what Kate did to you. If anyone can find an answer it's him."

"Derek's not dying," Lexi states, straightening up. "I won't let that happen."

Something about her makes Derek uneasy. The night before, she had been so broken at the mere thought of his death. Now, she's acting like it doesn't matter, and that it would never happen.

Scott spares one last look at Derek before turning to leave. Lexi picks up the gym bag with the money and calls out, "Scott!" The Alpha turns around as Lexi throws the bag. "You almost forgot it."

The bag lands in Scott's hands with a thump. "But it's not mine." 

"As I said, it would be best if the rest of it didn't come back." Scott gapes at her, shocked that she would give him the money. "For the MRI bills and Eichen House. For electricity and every other problem, I promised I would help you when we were dying in that vault," Lexi says seriously. "So, use the money, Scott. You deserve it."

Who thought Lexi would do that? Hope you enjoyed!

Again, I'm sorry I am updating so late (literally a half hour after Monday ended). I'm struggling with some writer's block for the next book and it's freaking me out cause I want it to be good and I'm already starting to write the book after because I have ideas with the new season. I also start my internship next week, so I'm a little stressed out. 

In conclusion-- sorry. Hope you enjoyed.