14 | PSAT

Derek walks into the hospital room to find Lexi asleep, holding Braeden's hand. He sighs, putting the coffee down before kneeling next to Lexi. "Lex, wake up." He whispers.

She groans in defiance, shifting away from him. An idea pops into his mind, and he grins wickedly. He moves her blonde hair out of her face and begins to kiss her neck. She moans slightly, turning back to face him. "As much as I want you to stay, I know you need to get to the PSATs," Derek states, making Lexi groan again.

"I need to stay until Braeden wakes up," Lexi tells him.

"I will stay with her, I promise. You need to get to the school. That was the agreement, right?" Derek raises an eyebrow. "You have to proctor the exams?"

"But I am an Original. I shouldn't have to." Lexi argues.

"Lex." Derek stares at her, making her submit.

"Fine." She stands, grabbing one of the coffees he brought. She stops in the doorway, thinking about something. "Der?"

"Hmmm?" He looks up, already settled in her chair.

"I—" She pauses. "Never mind, see you later."

—|—|—|—

"Where's Lydia and Lexi?" Kira asks as the pack waits for entry into the exam.

"Lydia took it her freshman year. Lexi's just running late—"

"I'm here!" Lexi exclaims, coming to a stop next to them. "I overslept." She takes a sip of her coffee. Stiles starts to eye it, and she flashes her red eyes at him. "Mine." She growls protectively.

"Sheesh," Stiles mumbles.

"If Lydia took it early, does that mean I could have taken it some other time?" Malia asks desperately.

"Malia, you studied harder for this than any of us." Scott reminds her.

"Doesn't mean I'm gonna do good."

"Well," Lexi and Stiles say at the same time.

"Well, what?" Malia frowns.

"It's do well, not good," Stiles tells her softly.

"Oh, God!"

"Okay, okay. You're doing this because while we're trying not to die, you still need to live." Lexi states seriously. "I'll be here the whole time to protect you."

"If I survive high school, I'd like to go to college. A good college." Scott adds.

"It's only three hours. We can survive three hours." Kira nods.

"I will kill you if you jinxed us." Lexi threatens.

"You don't believe in jinxes." Stiles teases.

"No, but I do believe in bad luck," Lexi mutters. "Did you crack the last third of the list?"

"Yeah, Liam and Malia are on it." Scott sighs.

Lexi frowns. "So, Peter and I are the only ones not on it?"

"Yeah." Stiles realizes. "Why aren't you on it? You're like the most supernatural of us all."

"I don't know. Are you sure it's only three lists?" Lexi asks, earning nods. She looks down as students are brought into the testing room. "We will sort this out later."

The group walks into the room, each putting down their thumbprint, grabbing a pencil and test, and putting their phone into separate bags. The moment Lexi makes eye contact with the test proctor, she gets a bad feeling in her stomach.

"Please do not open the test booklet until you are instructed to do so." The proctor, Simon, states. "This test is two hours and 10 minutes. There will be two 25-minute critical reading sections, two 25-minute math sections and an essay writing portion that will last 30 minutes. There are supposed to be two teachers monitoring this exam."

"I know." Lexi sighs. "It's Coach. He's not exactly punctual. Um, let me just try him again." She slips out of the room, heading straight for Coach's office. 

Knocking on the door and stepping in, she sighs when she finds Coach propped over his desk with drool falling from his lips onto the papers beneath his head. "Oh, Coach..." She mutters, glancing down at the 15 years sober chip on his desk. "I'll get you a coffee during the break, ok?" 

He groans in response as Lexi goes back to the testing room. "I can't find him, but Mr. Yukimura is upstairs grading papers." She lies with a small smile. "Do you want me to try him?"

"We have to start. We can ask for his assistance during the first break. You may now open your test booklets and begin," Simon says.

Papers flip and everyone behind. Lexi almost laughs when she sees Malia and Stiles freaking out. "You've got this, Malia." She whispers. The brunette looks over, and Lexi smiles warmly.

Her smile is wiped off her face when a girl, Sydney, falls to the ground. "Sydney!" Lexi exclaims, catching the girl swiftly. "Are you alright?" 

"I'm ok, I just got kind of dizzy." Sydney smiles sheepishly.

"Don't worry, it happens to the best of us." Lexi tries to assure her. With a frown, Lexi stares at a red rash on the girl's arm. "Sydney, how long have you had this?" 

"I don't know." Sydney answers. Lexi looks back at Scott and Stiles.

"Ms. Adams, do I need to stop the test?" Simon inquires.

"No, um, it's fine." Lexi stutters. Sydney sits, and Scott eyes her wearily. "Everybody stay in your seats. I'll, uh, be back in a minute." She grimaces, "Nobody leaves the room." She mutters to Simon, walking out of the room.

With a new focus in her mind, Lexi slips back into Coach's office and steps around his body. She gently tugs at his wrist to see a similar red rash. "That's not good." Lexi brings out her phone as she walks out of the office. 

Before the call can go through, Lexi notices a few students by the door. "No! She shouts as she rushes over. "Get back! Do not come in here!" The students run away. "Get back outside." She shuts the door tightly as she hears students from the test creep out. She turns around with a smile covering her concern. "Back to your seats, now." 

As the call picks up against her ear, she says, "I need the number for the CDC. Yes, the Center for Disease Control."

—|—|—|—

Everyone stands by the door, watching as people in yellow hazmat suits walk in and institute the quarantine. Some of the students wander around while others stay in the classroom. "Bet they're thinking smallpox." Stiles states.

"Not likely." Lexi scoffs. "Smallpox was eradicated worldwide in 1979. Humans have only managed to completely eradicate two viruses in history, the other one killed cows."

"Very good, Ms. Mikaelson." Lexi stiffens, hearing her real name. She looks back to see a hint of a smirk on the proctor's lips.

"Excuse me? I could not hear you." Lexi demands, walking over to him angrily.

"Ms. Adams, have I done something to offend you?" He asks innocently.

"That's what I thought." She snaps, grabbing her phone to call Derek.

"Don't bother calling anyone." Simon sighs. "They would have shut off any access to all outside communication by now. No cell service, no WiFi. No one starting a panic. Looks like we're all just going to have to wait here and see what happens."

Guys... What do you think Lexi was going to say before she chickened out? Hope you enjoyed!

Also, THIS STORY HAS 2K+ VIEWS! Like, WHAT?!?! You guys are all so amazing and thank you for reading! HOPE YOU ALL HAVE AN AMAZING DAY!! 

It's also my last day of school before finals, so I'm like hella excited!