13 | Lookout Point

"Their Alpha is a woman named Satomi," Lexi explains. "She's one of the oldest werewolves alive. And she's learned a lot."

"What does that mean?" Malia asks as they walk further into the woods.

"I bit her back in the thirties. Learning control wasn't easy for her. She did something a long time ago that changed her." Malia suddenly stops, sniffing the air. "What is it?"

"Gunpowder." Something shiny catches Lexi's eye. She bends down and picks up a shotgun shell.

"If Brett's pack is out here, I don't think they're meeting. They're hiding." Lexi states worriedly. She looks back at Malia before they head back to the car, both disappointed. The crunching of the leaves under her feet did not help Lexi's disappointment. They seemed to be whispering the secrets she desperately wanted to know: About Satomi, about Derek, ad especially about the deadpool.

"I'm sorry." Malia sighs, once they get into the car.

"There's nothing to be sorry about. If they don't want to be found, then we're not going to find them. Some werewolves have an ability. A kind of mastery over their bodies where they can actually inhibit their scent." Lexi tells her.

"They can hide from other werewolves?"

"From anyone who's trying to find them." Lexi corrects her.

"So that's why nobody knew about Brett." Malia realizes.

"Same with Demarco and Carrie," Lexi adds.

"Maybe we need to try something different. Maybe we need to think like Stiles."

"Like a hyperactive spaz who loves Star Wars?" Lexi deadpans, internally laughing at the suggestion.

"Like a detective." Malia rolls her eyes. "If they're really Buddhists, then maybe instead of asking where werewolves hide, we should be asking—"

"Where would Buddhists hide?" Lexi pauses, eyes widening in realization. "When Buddha sat under the Bodhi tree, he looked to the east for enlightenment."

"Is there some kind of eastern point in Beacon Hills?" Malia asks.

"Yes. At Lookout Point." Lexi slams her foot on the pedal and drives away, looking for her lost beta.

—|—|—|—

Lexi and Malia reach the cliff at Lookout Point before Malia stops her. "Do you smell that?" Malia whispers.

Lexi's nostrils flare before she catches the scent of death. "Wait here for me." She orders before she starts to follow the scent. The moment she sees the origin, she gasps, gagging slightly. "Malia!" She calls out. "Malia! Call Derek, now!"

Malia runs up to Lexi, already digging out her phone. She stops, surveying the bodies. "What happened?" She asks.

"I think they may have been poisoned." Lexi gulps, squatting next to a dead werewolf, black blood caking his skin.

"That's great. If assassins with guns don't get you, then the ones with wolfsbane poison will. Or maybe one with no mouth. Maybe we should all be running from Beacon Hills. Running for our lives. As fast as we can." Malia snaps, phone pressed to her ear.

Lexi perks up when she hears movement in the leaves. She sprints towards the sound, finding a bloody hand raised. She drops next to the woman, instantly recognizing her. "Braeden." Lexi breathes, already taking the mercenary's pain away. "Malia! Get the car!"

Again, sorry for the short chapter. Get ready for the next few though. You're gonna love them! Hope you enjoyed!