23 | Weak

"I still don't like relying on these things." Derek sighs, surveying the arrangement of weapons Lexi complied.

"I get it." Lexi places her hand on his shoulder gently. "You miss your power. I sometimes miss the power that came with vampirism, too."

"It's not about power, it's about being able to help. I don't like feeling helpless." Derek looks down.

"Braeden's human. Does she look helpless?" Lexi questions.

"She's a much better shot than me." Derek scoffs. Lexi observes his expression and frowns at the hopelessness.

"Do you really think you won't be coming back?" She inquires.

"Not alive," he answers.

"You know," She cups his face lovingly, making him look into her eyes. "I'm not okay with that."

"I am. If it saves Scott and Kira," Derek tells her. He takes her hands and moves them down before looking back at the weapons. "But to be honest, I don't even know if this is enough firepower to take down one Berserker."

"Not even close." Lexi tenses at Peter's voice. She hasn't really talked to him since he killed the assassin at the school, and she has gotten to the point where the mere mention of him annoys her. "Killing a Berserker is next to impossible." Peter walks towards them. "It's not just the firepower, it's breaking the animal spirit from the human."

"Well, the one person we know with that kind of experience is Argent. And he's not getting back to me," Derek responds, his grip on Lexi tightening slightly.

"Well, then you're going to need help. Like Malia, maybe Liam. Definitely me." Peter smirks.

Lexi's phone buzzes on the table. She breaks away from Derek and picks it up. Peter hears her heartbeat rise slightly as she reads the message. "All good?" He asks curiously.

"Um, yeah." She lies, licking her lips. "I just have to grab something before we head to Mexico. I'll meet you at the rendezvous?" She tilts her head to the side.

Derek nods, and she presses a small kiss on his cheek. "I'll see you soon. I love you."

She grabs her jacket as Derek calls after her, "Love you too."

"Uch, you disgust me." Peter gags.

"Right back at you," Lexi yells back as she walks out of the loft.

"You know she was lying, right?" Peter asks once he hears her car take off.

"What?"

"Her heart rate jumped," Peter informs his nephew. "And, she licked her lips. You should know her tells by now, Derek."

"Then, where is she going?"

—|—|—|—

Lexi walks into the distillery wearily, looking into each shadow carefully. "Scott?" She calls out. "Are you here?"

"Don't tell me you fell for that." A voice scoffs. Kate walks out of the shadows smirking. Lexi stiffens, a permanent grimace on her face. Her hand reaches behind her, and she discretely calls Derek on her phone.

"So I was right." Lexi rolls her eyes, starting to circle the Argent. "You texted me. Scott is where, exactly?"

"I think you know where, Lexi." Kate scolds teasingly, countering her moves.

"Why lure me out here, Kate? To the distillery of all places?" Lexi asks.

"Well, everyone is so concerned about Scott and the kitsune that they won't ever find your body," Kate smirks. She stops and roars, her skin turning blue and her fangs popping out.

"You think you can kill me?" Lexi laughs. "I'm the Original Alpha, Kate."

"But you're not immortal anymore, are you?" Kate sneers. "One snap of the neck and you're dead." Lexi's lips form a tight line as she flicks her claws out. "There is one thing I need to ask." Kate chuckles humorlessly. "How did you get everyone to fall back in line? I mean, after you took away everyone's memories, some for the second time, they still forgave you."

"Maybe it's because I'm likable." Lexi shrugs. "Or maybe, I'm not a psychotic bitch like you."

"You're in for it now," Kate growls.

"Really? Just now?" Lexi questions innocently before Kate lunges. Lexi dodges and rolls to the side as Kate slams into a pillar of cement. She groans as Lexi grabs her shoulders and throws her across the room.

Growls gain Lexi's attention. She slowly turns to see two berserkers standing there. "You didn't think I'd come alone, did you?" Kate spits. The berserkers advance, trapping Lexi in between them. The first one pounces, its bone knife extended. Lexi catches the arm and twists it, moving it towards the other creature. The berserker flies forward, barely missing the other one.

The second berserker catches her off guard as it slams its knife into her thigh. She lets out a small scream, tearing the bone from her body. This gives the two berserkers enough time to throw her to the ground. The bone knives slash at her skin, and all she can think about is Derek listening in.

Every time she is given a second, all she can do is take a breath before more kicks and punches come. She doesn't scream, refusing to give Kate the satisfaction.

Finally, the berserkers move back. Lexi rolls onto her stomach, coughing up blood as Kate approaches. The berserkers make her stand, holding her arms to keep her steady. "You don't have to do this, Kate," Lexi tells her. "You kill me, and you will be running for the rest of your life."

"From who? The mighty Mikaelsons?" Kate scoffs. "I don't know if you've realized, but they really haven't been living up to their legend. Plus, they'll never find out it was me who killed you." Kate smirks, her claws extended.

Lexi inhales sharply as Kate shoves her claws into Lexi's abdomen, twisting the slightly. "You think...that will kill me?" Lexi laughs, blood dripping from her mouth. "You are weak, Kate. You don't know the first thing about me. How do you know I haven't already told someone I was meeting you? Someone could be coming right now to kill you." Lexi smiles, coughing up more blood.

Kate's eyes burn green in anger. Kate's hands wrap around Lexi's face, and, with a scream, she twists.

Lexi's body falls to the ground with a thud, leaving only silence. "Well, I guess I wasn't weak, was I?" Kate spits at her body. She motions to the berserkers and leaves, not sparing another glance towards the wolf.

After a few minutes, Derek comes running in. The moment his eyes land on Lexi's body, all happiness he had disappears. He says nothing as he drops next to her, afraid to touch her. "Lexi?" He breathes.

A gasp tears through the area. Lexi jolts up, trying to get air into her lungs. She doesn't notice Derek as she whips her head from side to side, trying to piece together what happened. "Lexi? Lexi, calm down!" Derek exclaims, catching her face in his hands.

"You got my message." She sighs happily, her eyes moving over his features.

"I thought she killed you," Derek whispers, bringing her into his chest.

"Protection spell." Lexi chuckles. "Had a feeling something would go wrong. I would put one on you, but I have absolutely no power left." She looks down guiltily.

"Don't worry about me. What the hell were you thinking, coming here alone?!" Derek demands.

"I needed to see what she wanted. I couldn't involve you." Lexi bites her lip.

"Never scare me like that again, ok?" She nods, and Derek brings her in for another hug.

"I'm not going anywhere, I promise," she whispers.

Guys, it's almost the end! I can't believe this went by so fast! I still have books planned, so get ready for more Lexi soon!