Chapter 34

I loved you a lot. I don’t know to measure its depths nor its vastness. But I love you to the ends of the world.

But she never allowed him to express his love towards her. They both knew the reason well. She always insisted that he shouldn’t love her.

He knew she too loved him so deeply. But she preferred to keep it within herself, as secret. She always suppressed her love towards him. The reason was obvious.

They both didn’t even understand the name of her disease – some lengthy name, but as her doctors said, was incurable. Her internal organs were dying and it wasn’t possible to alternate every organ. Even the doctors couldn’t find out the reason of deterioration and how to stop or control it. Now, her brain and heart had also started to show symptoms of distension and anytime it could lead to cardiac arrest and brain hemorrhage. After analyzing the rate of depletion, doctors concluded it was almost time. She told it was painless, but he knew she was concealing the pain. She was always good at keeping secrets. She never disclosed anything unless she feels she needs to uncover them.

She showed him the unfathomable depth of love. He was engulfed in a wave of divinity of her love. But in the end, his fate was to stand alone at the cliff painfully watching his partner falling down and departing forever. He could only watch motionless. He saw the pain in her eyes too. Pain of a broken heart who is been taken away forcefully from her partner.

He felt an immeasurable void around him. An ocean of silence. Silence as cold as a night sky. An odour of loneliness. Darkness surrounded him as demons. The waves of truth that he has nothing left worth waiting for, laughed around him like goblins. Yet he didn’t have the permission to die with her. He had to live for her with her memories.

Just one thing remaining. The most painful wait. Her exodus. Her final journey, final expedition, final pilgrimage. He had to wait for the message of her death. The thought created fear and helplessness and abyss in his heart.

*

The wait was unbearable. That too for sad news. The most devastating message of his life, and yet he waited.

He messaged her but he didn’t get any reply.

Where would she probably at?

He could think only one place. Home. She may wish to welcome her death in that lonely mansion.

She will be there. She must be having another set of keys or the family that safeguarded the mansion would be having.

Albert decided to go to her village. He wanted to be with her, at those last precious moments.

Next day evening he reached her home only to see it was empty. He opened the door and went inside.

He freshened himself and sat at the verandah in the deck chair looking at the starry night.

Sara, come back to me. I am here. I need your presence. I need your fragrance. I want to see your angelic smile. Sara, be with me.

It started to drizzle.

He saw someone approaching. He jumped up and stared into the dark thinking it was Sara.

Noah stood at the gate house. He looked at Albert, and waited for a few seconds, then ran away into the woods.

Albert wished Noah to sit with him at the verandah. The silence was terrifying and loneliness was unbearable. Deep sighs escaped from him. His heart was empty.

Even after midnight, Albert felt sleepless. He gazed into the darkness of the night. Out from the void, he saw a slim slender figure coming towards him. She looked at him passionately. He could feel a divine aroma around him. She waved her hands as if saying goodbye. As he looked, she melts away into the dark abyss.

Suddenly, Albert heard his mobile phone ringing. A call from an unknown number. He attended the call.

A tough male voice delivered him the final message. He sank into the deckchair and become motionless for a long time.

From far away in the woods he heard someone singing. It was Noah.

You were a love bird flying
In this starry blue night.
Your wings were mine.

You sat alone and wept
In the melancholy of solitude.
I was your breeze.

You were my everything
My breath and my life
And the music of my heart.

*-*