Chapter 32

Finally Sara freed herself. She saw that his eyes were wet. She went inside the room leaving him alone in the hall. After ten minutes she came dressed and ready to leave.

He stared at her. His eyes asked her a lot of questions.

"I have to go now. " She whimpered.

" Why?" He queried.

She did not answer.

"Can't you go tomorrow?"

“No, I have to go now.” Her voice was stubborn.

"As you say." He stood as if he lost the battle.

She walked towards the door.

Albert raised his hands. "Bye, see you soon." He didn't believed in his own words.

Before getting out of the house she looked back and said. "We may not meet again. This is a one way journey."

He felt like he is been hit by a sledgehammer." Why?"

A sigh escaped her lips. Her eyebrows flickered continously. She seemed restless. "My doctor said, this... maybe... my..."

He anxiously waited for her next words. He know what it is going to be. Each word tore and wound him as been hit by a flail. But he prayed, that it might not be what he is thinking. His heart started thudding louder.

"My last week." She completed.

"Sara." He cried in disbelief.

Moments stunned. His breaths became faster. He felt himself shivering. He knew he had to face this day, but not so soon. He wished for some miracle to happen. He had started praying to God. But now, his world crashed around him. He will be soon stranded alone in an inescapable barren land.

She tried to smile in between her muffled sobs. She smiled with mixed emotions. Pain, distress, joy, love. She wanted to be strong, for both of them.

He sat on the step and mumbled. "You came here to inform me." His voice was almost unrecognizable.

He cried all his heart, inside. You can't die, Sara. I need you. Oh God, don't do this.

"No. I wanted to die in your hands." Her smooth voice threaded with pain struck sharply into his heart. He never expected her to have such a wish. He was ready to fulfill any wish of hers, but not this. She can't die. She shouldn't die. But he was helpless.

Tears streamed down from their eyes. Everything faded around them. Their souls remained.

Why are you going then? Be with me.

I wanted to spend some time with you. And I think this is enough.

Please don't leave me.

I came to see you. Now I can say goodbye to you.

Can you really say goodbye to me?

Can I? No, obviously I can't. But I have to go. My time is up. I wish to stay. I wish to live. But what could I do?

"I resisted but you persisted. Even after knowing everything, you continued to love me. I don't want to see the pain and agony in your eyes when I die."

I don't want to die. I want to live with you. Oh God, please spare me.

Sara stopped for a while. Looking into his eyes she continued. "I warned you many times. We can't be in love. My days are numbered. Don't ever love me. Didn't I? And still you..."

Small streams of tears ran down her cheeks. He could feel his heart blistering into numerous pieces. He stood, painfully realizing he is just a helpless mortal.

"Why God is so blind?"

Sara was stunned to hear that question. For the first time she heard 'God' coming from his mouth. When you are desperately helpless, you seek help from God.

"This is injustice." He continued. "We both are in love, even the Gods know that. How could it end like this. You are too young to..." He did not want to mention 'death'. "Our love reached its end even before it blossomed." His voice was mixed with pain and helplessness rather than frustration.

*****

The Unfathomable (Published) जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें