Chapter 20

It was payday and Albert decided to collect some groceries from the shopping market in the city. It was a Wednesday evening but the market was crowded. He pulled a shopping cart and started gathering one by one according to the list he brought along.

He stayed alone, away from his divorced parents, even before they got divorced. He never liked the quarrels between them. He felt sick to hear the whimpers of his younger brother and sister. So, he decided to stay alone.

He worked in a reputed magazine as a chief editor. He never was social. A few friends, who always gave him his personal space. He never had visitors or visited anyone. He avoided parties but rarely had to attend them for the destination sake. He won't stay long and always prefer some corner and made sure that everyone has noticed that he was at the party.
He asked for a cubicle in his office so that he could work undisturbed. Colleagues never tried to bother him. He talked less. He always looked lost in his memories and thoughts.

He went to the fruits section and started examining some apples.
"Excuse me." He heard a voice behind his back. Albert turned to see an elderly lady. He discovered he was blocking her way.

"l am sorry. " He apologized and moved back. As she moved on he saw a familiar face at the far end of the shopping center.

Was that her?

In the next second she disappeared.

He stood there for some time scanning every nook and corner of the room. It was hard to find that face in the crowd.

Was it real or just a mirage? He felt disappointed.

It was her. Definitely her. He said to himself. Last four days his eyes were searching for her but only failed. She was nowhere to be seen.

A new ray of hope rose inside him. She is somewhere in the crowd. He can find her. He may see her face again. He walked slowly to each section with his shopping cart.

He collected his groceries for the whole week. He proceeded to the meat section and grab some marinated meats. Then he walked to the beverage section.

His eyes still looked around and once again he saw that black hair at the farthest billing counter. She was paying her bills.

His heart stopped for a while when he saw her moving out.

***