30. Old friend

Those cracked lips felt so foreign on mine, but yet they were so perfect. The unfamiliar, peculiar sensation crept into my heart. It was fuzzy and strange. I didn't know how to define it. But it was...warm and soothing. I felt like I belong there, with him.

Just as I returned the kiss he broke it and steped backwards for a few steps more than he should have. He bowed his head, letting his dirty raven bangs cover his golden eyes. He refused to look at me.

"This is wrong."

He whispered but even then his voice was strong and strict. The voice that would make you shiver in fear.

"Forget all of this."

He ordered.

"Forget? How? If you want to push it under a rug now then why did you even do that in a first place."

I accused him. He was standing still, not willing to say anything. But I didn't let him get away with this. I pushed him even more.

"To decide wether I'm worth of being messed with? Just to make me feel bad? To drown your sorrow for a traitor who is dead for ten years?"

He snapped at that. He looked at me and in a blink of an eye he pinned me against the wall not letting me to move. He looked me with his eyes filled with unclear thoughts.

"Do not say that ever again."

He growled, clearly very angry. But not on me. Then I realised something.

"You know that."

He didn't react.

"You know that. You just don't won't to confront with that."

He shivered.

"She has never loved you."

"QUIET!"

He shouted so loud that echo of his cruel voice filled the Sanctuary. I shivered. A hint of fear quickly retreated itself.

"Go away."

I obeyed him. He moved away and let me go. I started walking toward the exit.

"And don't come back."

I suddenly stopped, frozen in place.

"Or I will kill you."

Then, the flow of time, the world...everything stopped then. Everything around me. I felt tinglings on my face and hands. I felt a drop of sweat coming down my temple. I felt my mouth getting dry, desperatly needing water.

He just banished me. He left me wihout home. Without family. Should I be happy I'm even alive?

All I could feel was my heart pumping blood. Never faster. And my thoughts whispered words that guided my feelings. Shock. Fear. Sorrow. Anger. Stress.

"Morpheus..."

I whispered. But it was useless. He was already gone. My eyed watered and for the first time in many years I cried. I cried because of someone. I cried because I lost the person I cared for.

🔸🔸🔸

I don't know for how long I was in the abandoned Sanctuary, but the sun was already up. Shining bright in the sky. There was no trace of Cicero. Nor of Morpheus.

And here I was again, alone and on my own. At least I still had my gear. My faithfull ebony bow and two ebony daggers. Funny thing is that I wished to throw them away, as far as possible. If there is one thing I hated the most, then that is sentimental value.

It didn't take long until I realised I have no plan for my life nor anything. I didn't know what to do. And there were so many problems on my head. All of this was so messy and tangled. Dragons, Dragonborn, my brother and now Morpheus and his threats.
I felt so broken and lost. Like a puzzle that cannot be complete because there are too many parts gone missing.

I knew I have to do something, I have to move on. To survive. After all, that's all I ever done in my life. From my young age I was just fighting to survive. Dark Brotherhood was just a part of my survival game. Nothing more. And as everything else, it had to come to an end.

But I needed time to think. I desperatley needed it. Like some kind of rest. And I knew exactly the place where I could rest. It was in Riften. I have a 'friend' who owes me.

I hurried up toward Whiterun. There is a long way to Riften. I have to be fast.

🔸🔸🔸

"Filthy elf! What are you doing in my inn?"

Keerava shouted with her raspy and annoying voice. I just smirked. But I still hated for everyone calling me an elf. I wasn't an elf. I was just an ordinary Breton. Probably my unpurpously spiky ears were cofusing people.

"Brynjolf sent me. You owe us something."

"I owe you nothing, scum!"

"Hm, well maybe this will clear your memory."

I said giving Keerava mischievous look. She frowned. Her scaled face was so disgusting, but her voice even more. I was never fond of lizards.

"What if I pay a visit to your family in Morrowind?"

I loved it how she changed her expression immediatley from annoyance to terrified gaze in her yellowish eyes.

"Please...I'll pay everything."

"Now that's more like it."

I said as I grabbed a purse filled with coins that she threw at me. I left the Bee and Barb happily.

And just as I exited the inn, I was knocked down by some beggar. I saw stars and fell on the ground. I could only hear a beggar laughing like some maniac and running away with coin putse Keerava gave me.

I shook my head and cursed. He was far from me already, but I chased him anyway.

"That's mine! Bring it back, you scum!"

I ran as fastest a can, I could still catch a glimpse of his orange cape whenever he circled around corner. It looked like he wasn't heading to a specific direction. He was just circling around the city, like he was mocking me. And that made me angry.

I decided to play smart. This was now third time he passed the Bee and Barb. I will cut his way coming from the other side. And it worked. The thief almost bumped into me, but somehow the god damn devil knocked me off my feet and pushed me over the fence. I let out a childish scream before my body was hugged by smelly and dimly water. I dispeled tens of fish in the cannal.

Quickly, I recovered and swam over to the shore. Exhausted, I throw myself on the deck and coughed some water out of my lungs.

Suddenly, above my head, appeared dark shadow. I winced and awkwardly got up. Only to see a face of the persone I thought is either dead or out of Skyrim.