20. Broken

"Morpheus?"

He was still looking at me, saying nothing. With the same furious stare.
He let out a growl. I noticed now something strange in his gaze. It was...dull. What's going on?
He grabed my neck this time, squeezing it a bit to tight but I could still breathe. It was difficult, but I somehow managed to get some air.

"That's...a bit..too tight...don't you think?"

I stuttered. He acted like he didn't hear me at all. He just leaned closer and opened his mouth halfway and I could swear I saw not two, but now four fangs shining in his mouth.
I tried to push him away, but before I could do anything...he disappeared. Or at least I thought so. He was ten metres away from me now. Sitting in a field, his head lowered, like he is not daring to look at me.

"Morpheus?"

No answer. I get up and start walking towards him.

"Stop."

He hissed, still not looking at me. I froze in place, but I still wanted to go towards him so I disobeyed his order.

"Are you deaf?"

"No."

"Good."

He looks at me now. I expected an angry look, but instead I was shot by incomprehensible gaze. What was it? Could it possibly be fear? No way.

"I must go."

He hissed and disappeared. Well, it seemed to me like that. He actually just ran away fast as bolt. And left me all alone. Confused, lonely...even scared. What was that? What is Morpheus? He is definatley not normal. Should I ask him when he returns? What if he won't return? The unfamiliar strange feeling of fear, maybe even panic appeared. What should I do if he never returns?

🔸🔸🔸

Rays of sun illuminated my sleeping bag. I was awake for at least three hours now. Dawn already passed, leaving a thick layer of frost on grass. The beginning of Sun's Dusk. This winter will be colder than usual. Well, that's not so attractive mostly because winters in Skyrim are always colder than anywhere else in Tamriel.
But that didn't bother me now. No frost, no winter could distract my thoughts of...worry? Still, no trace of Morpheus. I started wondering if he is alive at all. He is gone now for exactly ten hours. Someone will come across and see lost Dark Brotherhood assassin. Well, not that I was completely lost, but I didn't know Skyrim's roads fully. And now, without Morpheus, I didn't know what should I do? Keep going? Return to Sanctuary? Just wait until I starve?
I could feel a familiar anxiety creeping in my bones. Combined with impatience and fear. I suddenly felt like a six year old girl. I was ashamed.
Get a grip, Frais. I am a grown up person now. Even more, I lived most of my life with a weapon in my hand. I know how to take care of myself.
I decided to give Morpheus one more hour and then I'll return to Sanctuary. He did show up. After two more hours. I broke a promise I made to myself. But that wasn't important now.

He walked up to me. I was so worried a moment ago, but now, I was furious. I didn't even want to look at him.
He stopped right in front of me. I could see the tips of his black leather boots. They matched with his robes that looked like archmage's robes. But he definatley did not wear that but a stealth rogue outfit. It was unique. Like something the leader would wear.

"Frais?"

"It's almost noon. You planned yesterday to already be in Windhelm by this time. We'd better get going."

I cut him out. I didn't want to listen him. Well, I had to since he was my superior, but I didn't want to talk with him right now. Especially not about this. He is secretive person. This should suit him.