23. Familiar face

I met with Morpheus in the so called Gray Quarter. The district is originally called the Snow Quarter, but after the great eruption of the Red Mountain in Morrowind, most of the Dark Elves fled to Windhelm. They congegrated the area of that district so most of the citizens call it the Gray Quarter as a reference to Dunmer skin colour.
I told Morpheus every detail I found out from the inn. He listened carefully, smile spreading over his face, yet his eyes were filled with a worry.

"It's good we now finally know what it should be like in the inside but still, if the hall is long as you said then it will be hard for us to reach the Jarl before he calls his guards."

"Yes. That could be a problem."

"Isn't there any secret way of entering? A passage? A window? A door?"

"Unfortunatley, I couldn't get that information."

"By Azura, you are useless!"

I frowned and wanted to cut him off, but I stopped myself. After all, he is my superior and it is my duty to obey his orders. And it was my fault. I had no idea that I could find that out. Like I wasn't thinking at all. Like a fool.

"What about Susanna?"

"I tracked her down. She works for long hours in the inn, but eventually, she will have to go home. I located her house which is not far away from the cemetery of the city. Her life will end there. I even had a chance to talk with Viola a bit. Let's say that I know how the cuts should look like."

"That's good location. What about the beggar?"

"Oh, I had quite nice talk with her. She even told me her name. Silda the Unseen which I don't find quite fitting. Her face is really something you cannot miss."

He said with a slight bit of disgust. That was rude, but I did not care about that anyway. The mission was important.

"Shouldn't that be refering to her skills as thief?"

He laughed at my question. Of course, not too loud. He was careful not to draw any attention.

"What skills? That petty pickpocketing?"

I sighed. He started walking towards the inn. He stopped at some part and pulled his hood on. I copied his moves. His voice was now muffled by the mask but I could still understand him.

"Enough about beggar. She'll get her job done. What I need you to do now is to go back to the cemetery, stand there and wait for her to come closer. Then I will come behind her and we attack. I suppose I don't need to point out we have to be silent as a deadman six feet under, am I right?"

I just nod as he looks at me. His eyes illuminated his skin covered with hood.

"I'll prepare the body, than you'll give a sign to Silda. She'll do what she needs to. We'll get rid of the rest of the guards and take their uniforms. By that way we could sneak in and buy outselves some time before getting detected."

"Are you sure we'll have enough time to do all of that?"

"Your tardiness is not my problem."

"All right. Guess I am heading to cemetery to take my position."

"Not yet. Wait until Susanna comes out."

He hissed turning his focus to the inn. Right after he finished his last word, the door of the Candlehearth Hall opened and a young blonde bard came out. She stared waliking towards us. Morpheus gave me a sharp looking which was asking: why the hell are you still here?

I turned on heel and rushed towards the cemtery. I tried to be quiet and fast. And I succeed. I took my postion and waited for the young woman to arrive.

It take only a few seconds before she appeared there, in front of me. She didn't realise I was standing there so she almost bumped into me. She winced and took two steps back only to be stopped by Morpheus' chest. Her blue eyes quickly landed on him and before she could even thought of what to say, he stabbed her in the stomach with his Blade of Woe. She looked at the undefined spot, terrified and shocked. Her blue eyes soon lost their shine and closed. Morpheus finally let her fall to the ground without making any noise. As light as feather.

Then it pierced my heart. I saw her there, lying on the snow. Dead and cold. A young woman, almost a girl whose life was taken away in blink of an eye. She was friendly to everyone, she enjoyed in music, she had family. I thought about her mother. I pictured and old lady. Her hair was streaked with gray and her eyes watered after she heard the guard telling her about her daughter's death. We just killed a young woman who did absolutley nothing wrong. We just killed someone's child just because we needed her as a part of our sick game. We took her life like it was nothing. Like a dandelion on the wind.

"Frais! Pull yourself together!"

A hiss snapped me out of my thoughts full of guilt. I noticed how Morpheus was already done with slashing Susanna's body. It still looked so small and innocent. This will never left my soul rest. Yet, I still obey Morpheus. I ignored this feeling of terrible guolt that could tore me apart. It tore me apart for a thousand of times. I feel guilt every day. This is just another weight for already massive burden a carry.

I saw Silda and gave her I sign. She nodded and ran towards the palace shouting: help! They immediatley followed her to the place of crime.
We didn't lose any time either. It was just like Morpheus thought iz would be. Two guards followed Silda while the other two stayed there, gurading the entrance.

Morpheus pulled out his small knives he used for throwing. I prepared my bow and fired a single arrow at the female guard. She fell on the ground. Her armor created a loud thud. Hopefully, not too loud. I approached the body of the guard and noticed three small knives stuck into second guard's chest. We quickly change our apperance looking behind us every second praying no one will come.
Morphues put the two bodies in the corner and covered them with a snow. It was enough thick layer to hide them completely.

Then, we entered the palace. Cold air was replaced by warm one. Scents of fresh cooked meals filled the room. It was dark, only a few candles shone. Even a big cieling was half lit and half not. The room was almost the same as I imagined.

Yet, there was one thing we did not expect. Ulfric Stormcloak was sitting on his throne. In this room, empty as tomb. There wasn't even any guards here.

Morpheus and I slowly approached the throne. The Jarl lazily looked at us.

"What is it now?"

He asked out of sorts. I let Morpheus speak.

"Now? Prepare to visit the Void."

In a speed of light I pulled my bow and aimed at Ulfric firing at him and....missing.

The arrow never reached it's goal. At first I thought I really missed, but then I saw a shiloutte that appeard in front of me.

A young man, younger than me stood in front of me. He held the arrow in his hand.

The ability to catch the arrow was something that shocked me, but the fact I recgonised those apple green eyes, tanned skin and brown hair, almost the colour of honey, completley stunned me. I looked at him in horror and formed the name on my lips that I haven't mentioned years ago.

"Menro?"