8. 7,000 steps to climb

"So, what's your story? How is it that  Jarl assigned you as my follower?"

I asked. Not because I wanted to know more but in order to break the silence. I could not handle the chatter of birds. They remind me of Hagraven. Semi-bird, semi-woman. I had a chance to get to know them pretty well. I hung out with them for three days. I was eight years old then. Brother and mother were dead for a few months while I pulled out and wandered around like a savage. I stumbled on a group of Forsworns who kidnapped me and took me to Hagravens. Fortunately, they did not kill me and cut open my belly. Although they dealt me ​​a lot of trauma, I'm happy that Forsworns camp was attacked by small groups of warriors.

They called themselves the Dawn Bringers. They were a group of warriors who left the Dawnguard. Their leader was Bosmer, the best archer in Skyrim, Hodsing Hawk-Eye. He 'adopted' me. He was never like a father to me, but we got along pretty well. I spent with Dawn Bringers almost my entire rest of childhood. Hodsing taught me everything, all the fighting techniques he knew. Especially archery. I owe him my life and all the knowledge I have. Because of him, bow is known to me like my palm and arrows are faster than a finger.

When I turned 15, Hodsing was betrayed and killed. By his own brother. Like several other Hodsing's supporters, I ran away to save my life. Since then, I haven't heard of Dawn Bringers. At first I was using false names, thinking they will go and seek me. They never found me. Nor I ever saw them again.

I continued my life and started to deal with mercenary work. And here I am now, ups and downs ... and boom! Suddenly a hero of Skyrim.

"I am a member Companions, organization of brave warriors in Whiterun. In fact, now I'm not. I moved to the army, Jarl's service. I am a housecarl. I was assigned to you, so if you ever buy a house in Whiterun my duty will be to guard it and take care of it."

"Does that mean you're going to live in it?"

"Yes."

"Seems like security and privacy obviously do not go together."

"It seems that way. And you, my Thane, what's your story?"

She asked. Unconsciously, I gritted my teeth. Lydia raised an eyebrow and sighed.

I am already for a long time on my own that I forget how much of an annoying and heavy person I am. I can't stand myself sometimes. Others can't probably three times more.

"It's a long story. I do not like to remember my past. I think that what has passed is irrelevant. Why would anyone look back if you cannot change anything now. It remains only the present and our capability to create a better future and not to repeat mistakes but learn on them."

"Well said. I agree completely."

For some time we were silent. Until we were attacked by a huge black troll. They can be really tough. Their health regenerates fast so the hits must be strong and deadly.

Lydia immediately attacked it, perhaps even before it figured anything. I did not like her tactics, but it was effective. Chopped off the troll from all sides. He fell to the ground and screamed while I fired the death blow to its forehead.

"I would never have used such method, but you cut it down really nice."

I said, putting my bow on my back. We continued along the path towards Ivarstead. If we're lucky, we'll get there before dark. It's never wise to travel at night. Especially not through Skyrim.

"Thank you. Companions are warriors full of skills and they share it with each other. One of them knew the best way to cut down the troll. The funniest thing is that he died choking on troll fat. Seems that the troll can be tougher when it is dead then alive. "

"Companions, seems as a group of brave warriors."

"Yes. You would be accepted immediately in the group. You should join them."

She suggested me. After a few seconds I replied.

"Nah, seems like a waste of time."

Again we spoke nothing. Sun already begun touching the branches of trees. Time is short.

"If we continue at this rate, we will not get there before dark."

I said and gently slapped the mare with my heels in the stomach. Lydia followed me.

"But this way we are an easier target and we fall into the trap because of carelessness."

"Then open your eyes well, Lydia."

I hissed. Lydia went silent. Just before Ivarstead, proved that maybe Lydia was right. Darkness fell but an hour ago, and we have not yet reached the town.

Darkness would fall if we were riding at normal speed, moreover, we would not fall into the trap of bandits.

In less than half a second, a flicker in the dark is replaced by a sharp noise of an arrow that passed too close to my ear. But it was still in one piece.
Hastily I pulled the reins and made Allie to turn around. I pulled the bow and aimed at bandits.

He fell like a pear. But my carelessness cost me. Another arrow was fired at me, but it never reached my throat. Lydia picked up her shield and wood on it caught the arrow.

Indeed she was a great companion. Defended me with her life. Who would not want such a loyal person with you. All of this has kind of a strange effect on me. As if for the first time after a very long time again I am beginning to trust people. I shouldn't. I always end up disappointed and betrayed. I have to be careful.

However, largely due to Lydia's skill, we're here, in Ivarstead. It was a very small place. Only a few houses and very few inhabitants. They were older people. Young people as if weren't there at all. And who could blame them? I would take too the first opportunity to hit the road.

We decided to spend the night in Ivarstead. Local blacksmith recommend that to us. On the way to High Hrothgar there are many dangers. Like ice wolves and ice trolls. It is wiser to travel on daylight.

Lydia rented a room with two beds. I did not like it, but what else could I do? The other two were taken. At least the beds are separate. I could not stand it that I have to sleep next to someone. Not even next to my mother. I never liked unnecessary physical contact. Hugs, kisses, handling, patting shoulders and so falls under unnecessary. Beheading, knocking someone's teeth, choking, kicking and so falls within the need. I mean, in terms of defense. Usually.

I took off my coat and steel pieces that protected me off the shoulders and torso. Silk shirt is clinging to my body so that I hardly felt it on myself. Pants were of leather and tight. I released my belt a little bit. Boots were bent when I threw them under the bed at the same time throwing the full weight of myself on it. Wood made a painful creak.

I felt tired. I'm still a bit under the events of Helgen and Riverwood.

"Who are those Greybeards, actually?"

I asked Lydia, not opening my eyes. It took her a few moments to respond. Judging by the rustle that she made, it is likely she is taking her heavy armor off. I can not imagine to wear  something like that. I've always preferred the light armor.

"You do not know? They're old sages, masters of the Way of the Voice. Teachers of Thu'um. They spend entire life sitting up. They fully engage in learning Thu'um, or what we call the Way of the Voice."

"They are the same thing as Dragonborn?"

"No. They just study and train the Way of the Voice. They have the knowledge Dragonborn needs. Anyone can learn how to shout. Only Dragonborn doesn't need to learn. Dragonborn has it in blood and can feel it. You can. Naturally you get words of ancient dragon language to the tip of your tongue and mind. "

So, I should be trained and sent on the right way by some weirdos who live completely isolated from the world and learn ancient nord arts? I cannot decide if this sounds to me extremely stupid or extremely vain. I'm not a hero, nor I ever will be. And I do not even want to be.

I cannot wait to finish this and go back to my old life. I hope, but deep down I know that my life will never be the same.

I pull the heavy thoughts out of my head. Tomorrow is a long day. I need energy. And I certainly will not get it if I keep banging my head with something that is totally uncertain.