12. Family

Morpheus walked over a big wardrobe that stood next to the bed. He opened it and tossed me a pile of black and red clothes.

"Here. Put these on. It used to be worn by best archer assassins in Dark Brotherhood. Long time passed since we had one. Maybe you deserve them. We'll see."

I nodded and looked at the clothes he gave me. Leather was the first thing a could feel.

"Down the hall, second room ond right is yours. You can change there."

I left him in his room and went in the quarters where he showed me. The room was smaller than any where I was now. But it looked comfy. A nice stone bed stood there, covered with a few layers of sheets. There were no windows. Actually, I haven't seen windows anywhere. The Sanctuary must be underground. Well, it was not a bad place even without sun rays. It was pretty warm, although it looked cold.

I closed the wooden doors and tried changing my clothes. The clothes given by Whiterun were damaged on some places and dirty. Well, it could be still worn, but the new clothes seemed too good not to be worn. I put on a black leather pants. They were tight, but strong. Almost as good as armor. Top was also from a black leather but it had red buckles. On the chest was Dark Brotherhood's sign, black hand. Boots were knee length. They were black with a layers of red leather with metal ornaments. Gloves matched them. The last thing to put on was a long black coat with red collar and big hood. It leaned perfectly to my body, pointing out my body shape. It was a nice feeling wearing this. It was comfy and undamagable. Well, it felt like that.
Knock on the door pulled me out of my thoughts. I turned to the doors hearing a muffled voice.

"You done?"

I opened the doors to Morpheus and followed him through the hall. He pointed me the way to the big hall where the most of members were, or so called family.

"Be sure to introduce yourself to the rest of our family."

He said before turning back to his room and slamming the door shut. Our family. After a long time I have a family. Full of bloodthirsty lunatics. But, am I different? I don't think so. I killed to. For my selfish reasons. I killed to stay alive. Now, I have a higher purpose for killing. And I get payed for that too which is a nice bonus.

I walked through a small hall that lead straight into a big room in which was a huge fireplace, dining table and a cooking spit.

I smelled food and remembere how hungry I am. I felt like a haven't eat for ages.

The cooking spit was used by a Redgurad with Alik'r hood. Alik'r were warriors of Hammerfell, trained assassins. Similar to Dark Brotherhood. He noticed me and waved me. I waved back.

"Ah, so you are a new member of our happy disfunctional family? I give you a week before you get stabbed and trown into a pit."

What a marvelous introduction. Another lunatic. This one is also familiar with sarcasm. Great.

"Nice to meet you too. I am Frais."

"Yeah, I know who you are. Morpheus told me about you. My name's Nazir."

He continued cooking. This was it? Are we over yet?

"So, what else can you tell me about yourself?"

He let out a smirk when I asked him that.

"Well, as you can see, I'm a Readguard. Born in a blooded desserts of Hammerfell and raised as Alik'r warrior. I am not proud of my past really. Dark Brotherhood saved me from myself. Now I happly kill and live with my family and never look back to my past."

I nodded. He just continued cooking. I left him to his work when a woman with her hood on approached me. She hit me with her shoulder.

"Watch it!"

She hissed. I looked at her a bit angry.

"As far as I'm aware, you are the one who hit me."

I said. She immidiatley turned on her heel and faced me. Her golden eyes matched her skin and hair that were the same colour. High Elves. Always annoying and disrespectful. Proud of their skills yet so vain. Not honorful race at all. But, I never met an Altmer who is not part of Thalmor. Maybe I am judging too fast.

"I don't care, skunk. Just get out of my way."

"For a so high and old race, you High Elves are really rude."

I blurted. I just couldn't be silent. That's me every time when someone touches my nerve. And she did.
She took of her hood revealing her long and thin face. I noticed now that she was blind on one eye. Big scar covered the right side of her face. Her hair was messy and dark for an Altmer, also it was cut short. Which was unusual for women in Skyrim. Not just for Nords, but for everyone. It made her look a bit like a boy.

"I am not here to please you and I don't owe you any respect. Now shut up before I do something I maybe will or won't regret."

She threatend me. I was just ready to say something back to her when I was cut of by the weirdest and definatley the most maddest laughter I ever heard. It came from the stairs. I looked at them and saw a jester sitting on them. He was short for a man. Shorter than me. His long red hair circled his wicked face decorated with big smile.

I looked back at High Elf but she already disappeared somewhere.

"Oh, let me give you my most sincere welcome, Dark Sister!"

Jester's voice matched his appearence. It was high pitched. He sounded like his narrating or reading. It annoyed me.

"Thank you, I guess."

He giggled and came downstairs and stop right in front of me, slightly bowing.

"My name's Cicero! I am the jester, the assassin and The Keeper! I take care of our dearest Mother."

He spoke in soothing voice, like he is talking about something cute but with a slightest bit of sorrow. 

"Mother?"

I asked confused. He looked at me, obviously shocked. He put his hands on head.

"You don't know who the Night Mother is?! Haven't the Listener told you? By Sithis, what was he thinking?"

He spoke fast and loud. He made me even more confused. I frowned and looked at him. He obviously noticed my expression so he smiled again and stopped freaking out about my ingorance.

"Shall I meet you with the Night Mother, then? Come, you'll love her."

I followed him upstairs. He suddenly turned left and approached a giant coffin. And just when I hoped he won't open it, he opened it.

"Ta-daa!"

He stepped into a pose, representing me a corpse of a woman. Then began the story long three hours. Cicero told me everything about the Night Mother, Dark Brotherhood and Sithis. There is a story that Sithis, creator of everything, of Daedra and Aedra, shapless god chose a Dunmer Elf, later called the Night Mother. Blessed by Sithis she gave birth to five children and to prove her loyalty to Sithis, she killed them and send them into the Void, realm where Sithis rules. The villagers did not aprove her actions so they burnt her house to the ground. But even now, in death she serves Sithis by chosing The Listener to give him the orders given directly by Sithis. The Listener is the only one who can hear Night Mother's voice so that is very honorful title. It is his right and obligation to be the leader of the Sanctuary. Morpheus is The Listener. He gives orders to the rest of the Sanctuary.

Also, Dark Brotherhood follows the rules: five tenets. Which must be respected. Those who did not respect and follow the rules, enwoke the wraith of Sithis and a terrible destiny awaited them.

And after meeting all of them, after hearing the legend about Sithis and Night Mother, after learning five tenets, the only thing that remains on my mind is question. Am I crazy enough to survive with this lunatics?